"I fell for you without even knowing it"

Alice Cooper filled your ears as you sat on the couch at Carol's party, you swigged a room temperature beer and tried to focus on what the girl next to you was saying, alcohol and a lack of care fogging up your brain. She was droning on about college, half to you, half to the guy stood in front of you in a drunken attempt to seduce him. You heaved up from your seat and wandered towards the kitchen, nodding a greeting to Carol.

"Have you seen Billy?" you called loudly over the music and shouting.

"Yeah, he went upstairs about 30 minutes ago, with um... With..." she clicked her fingers as she tried to recall the name.

"He's in one of the bedrooms anyway, you want another beer?" she asked, offered you a cold bottle.

"Yes I do" you answered in a sing-song tone, taking the beer and pulling off the cap.

"He shouldn't be long" she laughed.

You nodded and sipped your beer, looking around the party.

"I don't get it with you and Hargrove" You heard Tommy say behind you, you turned to face him, the bottle hovering around your lips.

"What is there to get?" you said with a shrug.

"So, you hang out, you chill at parties and you always go home together, even if he's banged some rando, but yet, you never do anything together like that?" his face was screwed up with confusion, trying to figure out the logic in your methods.

"And that's it, it's called friendship, Tommy." you said with a small laugh

"Billy does not have female friends, come on!" he observed

You shrugged, yours and Billy's friendship was a strange arrangement to some, but it was simple to the pair of you. It had started a few months back, when you attended a New Year's Eve party, Billy had nailed a girl and then had been desperate to get away from her as she hung off his arm, clinging and demanding his attention, you lived a few houses up the street from him and had staged an intervention because he looked so willing to get away it was almost painful, you were having a shitty time anyway so you asked him if he had wanted to walk home, he was delighted at the lifeline and you had walked home in the night. When you had reached his house he had seemed hesitant, the light on in the living room, his dad's car in the driveway, the silhouette of Neil pacing past the curtains. Sensing the tone you had asked him if he wanted to crash at yours, knowing full well nothing would happen as he'd just satisfied his hunger with some girl from school. And so, the routine began.

In the four walls of your room, the pair of you would talk for hours, watch dumb late night TV shows and listening to vinyl in the dark until you fell asleep.

"So you're telling me you've never thought once about it?" Carol asked with a grin.

"Of course, who hasn't? But it's just...not...that" you answered and took a sip of your beer.

"I think he likes you" Tommy's words caused you to almost spit out your beer

"Fuck off" you scoffed with a laugh.

You felt a hand touch the small of your back softly and you glanced over your shoulder, Billy reached over and grabbed your beer, taking a long drink. His blonde curls lightly stuck to his head with sweat, his face flushed slightly, his breathing heavy. He smiled at you, his lips glistening from the beer he had just chugged.

"Hey man, ready to go?" you asked as you pulled a cigarette from your pack, Billy flicked his Zippo open and lit it for you, his eyes traveled to the stairs as he saw his latest victim descending, smiling and waving manically at him.