chapitre quatre

Sunlight shone through open parts of windows, landing directly on the redhead's face. He squeezes his lids shut, grimacing at the bright lights. He draped his arm over his eyes, inhaling deeply as he turned to look for Marc. To his expectations, he had already slipped away as instructed. Clenching his open hand, he felt paper crumpling against his palm. Nathaniel popped an eye open, seeing the paper folded in his hand. He sat up, quickly unfolding the paper to find that it was a neatly written letter. He recognized the beautiful script handwriting as his lover's, a smile entering his face.

Good morning, my love. Really, knowing you, it's most likely evening by the time you've woken up, so I should actually say 'Good evening.' I enjoyed staying with you last night, since we rarely have the chance to spend that much time together. I hope it may happen again soon. Please make sure your Grandmother (Marianne, was it?) understands that I greatly appreciate what she's done for us. I can see where you get your warm heart from. I wait eagerly to see you again this night, love.

-M

Nathaniel's heart fluttered gently from his soft words. He loved this boy with his very heart and soul, through thick and thin, dark and light. Silently, Nathaniel vowed to himself that he would let not a single close-minded human tear them apart, even if it cost everything. Marc was his everything- as long as he was by his side, Nathaniel would need nothing more.

He carefully refolded the letter, sliding out of his bed. His feet hit the cold wooden floors, which he had gotten accustomed too long ago. He walked over to his desk facing the window, placing the letter on the polished mahogany wood.

Knocks pounded against the room's double doors. Without waiting for an answer, the King's servant ran in. Nathaniel jumped and frantically moved in front of the desk, blocking the letter from the servant's view. She noticed his panicked movement, but disregarded it after a second of thought.

"Prince Nathaniel, King Kurtzberg sent me to inform you that today's dinner with King Bourgeois and his family has been moved to a brunch! It starts at 2:30, about an hour an a half from now. King Kurtzberg says to be groomed and on your best behavior in the dinning room at exactly 2:30 on the dot."

Nathaniel groaned, throwing his head back. "Why does he always do this without even mentioning it first? Not even a little 'Hello, son, remember that meeting that might determine whether or not we go to war? Well, it's been moved earlier. Toodle-loo!'. Nothing!"

The servant quietly shifted around on her feet, waiting.

He shook his head, "I'm sorry, miss. Tell him I'll be there."

She quickly nodded, giving a quick "Thank you," before exiting the room. Just as the door went to close, she stuck her foot between the door and frame, preventing it from locking.

Meanwhile, Nathaniel quickly rummaged through his armoire and drawers, picking out his usual white formal attire. He ran to his bathroom, turning the shower on to a warm setting, dropping his formal clothes onto the corner table.

The servant stuck her head through the doorway, looking around for the Prince. Once she was certain that the coast was clear, she tiptoed her way across the room. Standing in front of the desk, she looked down at the letter left in the open. Picking it up, she read through the letter, her eyes widening at the possibility of the Prince having a secret lover. She looked around slowly, folding the letter back up as quietly as quietly as possible. Taking a deep breath, she shoved the letter into her satchel. Tiptoeing her way out of the room, she closed the door knowing that the King would appreciate her for finding this.