2 ❀ good morning qt

Taehyung sighed as he listened to the familiar yet unwelcome buzz of chattering coarse through the old cement walls of the high school. Summer was over, and the heat that was once sweltering had slowly ceased along with his hopes to meet the painter once more. Every day he came to that café, desperately searching for her, but to no avail, she did not return nor did her other friend.

"Tae!" A familiar voice suddenly called out to Taehyung and wiped the pout off of his face, replacing it with a large smile. He slammed his locker shut and spun around to meet with his best friend.

     "Jeongguk!"

They brought each other into a tight hug, but Taehyung's grip faltered along with his smile as he remembered the girl once more. Jeongguk seemed to take notice of this and rolled his eyes, pushing Taehyung away but keeping his grip on his shoulders.

"Hey," he started while shaking Taehyung, "is it about her?"

Taehyung remained silent and averted his eyes to the ground, causing Jeongguk to groan and roll his eyes again. Jeongguk's stern gaze remained on Taehyung as he continued to sulk; his dark brows were furrowed, his lips were turned in a pout, and his lashes fluttered slowly as he pretended to blink away tears. Eventually, Jeongguk gave up and released his grip on his friend.

"I hate you, like, a lot."

Taehyung responded with a sheepish laugh and patted Jeongguk's back as they proceeded through the school halls. With a disgusted grimace cleverly hidden by conceited smirk, Taehyung eyed the students who were all gathered into many different clusters of all types—the egocentric populars that Taehyung acted fake towards as much as they did to him; the jocks who honestly looked pretty lame at the moment since tryouts were not taking place yet, and they had no uniforms to flaunt; the "little goodies" who were simply well-rounded and well-liked; the art whores who also had their own smaller hierarchy depending on their art styles; the bland normies who, honestly, no one cared about; the druggies who consistently reeked of cat piss and weed; the geeks who lived on history books and anime body pillows; and the loners, who got bonus points if they were emo or goth, with no friends and no self esteem.

Taehyung did not fit into any specific clique, rather, he was called a "floater": someone who could adapt into all groups and shuffle around. Although he did not necessarily belong with any single cluster other than with the other few "floaters," he still remained high up in the damned hierarchy of raging, hormonal teens. His adaptability made it easy for him to ease into any conversation, and his looks gave him a huge boost, especially with the cliques higher up. The populars and jocks frequently emote their disapproval of his openness though, frowning in disdain any time he had a chat with someone lower than a druggie. He has had consistent thoughts of completely cutting them out, but that became rather difficult when his best friend came into view.

Although Jeongguk spent most of his time by Taehyung's side rather than with a certain clique, he was considered one of the jocks. Anyone could tell from his large frame and smug look that seemed to never leave his face. Jeongguk was in a strange position with the other jocks though; unlike them, who spent every day and night devoting their life to baseball or football, he preferred spending time with Taehyung or sharing a chess game with one of the geeks, and that was off-putting to the other athletes. First of all, he spent time with students of lower status, and second of all, he did not spend each and every minute of his life flexing or tossing a ball around; they could not even comprehend it and considered isolating him from the group too, but his good looks made him favored by the populars, who were higher up on the hierarchy.

With his arm slung over Taehyung's shoulder, Jeongguk nonchalantly spoke, "So, since you had no luck finding her, can you finally tell me about her now?" He gave Taehyung an amused look; Taehyung had passionately ranted to him for hours straight about some random girl for the entire summer, and he still did not know a single detail about her looks or personality. All he knew was that the two met at a café.

Taehyung looked taken aback and irritatedly squinted his eyes at Jeongguk. He shoved Jeongguk's arm off his shoulder and proceeded to click his tongue at him. "No, obviously. Dude, what if you fall in love with her?" Taehyung whined with a pout, but Jeongguk just rolled his eyes for the millionth time at how stubborn his best friend was.

"I'm not going to fall in love with her after finding out what her hair color is, dude."

"You could!" Taehyung persisted.

Jeongguk groaned as a sign that he gave up, but the both of them knew he would be asking again soon. He honestly could not care less about the girl; well, sure, it was the person that his best friend decided to love, but his curiosity died down throughout the summer as Taehyung consistently refrained from telling him any details. All he wanted at this point was for Taehyung to be honest and let out any secrets. Jeongguk could not help but let a pout slip through, which Taehyung took notice of and replied with a laugh and a shoulder pat.

"Soon; trust me. I'll just have to see her first because, honestly, I don't even really remember what she—"

Taehyung suddenly stopped dead in his tracks as he continued to stare wide-eyed towards the end of the hallway; his jaw slightly dropped and shifted into a large smile—one of the largest smiles Jeongguk has ever witnessed upon his best friend—as his eyes seemed to begin shining. Jeongguk gave his best friend a questioning look as he furrowed his brows and proceeded to turn his head the same direction, but before he could take a look at anything out of the ordinary, his vision was blocked by a large hand—Taehyung's hand to be exact.

"Hey!"

"Don't look."

At first, he was offended and taken aback, but a knowing smile eventually crept its way onto Jeongguk's face as he realized, and he obeyed as he simply crossed his arms and waited patiently with his eyes shut, allowing Taehyung to soak in the moment.

Taehyung was filled with such an overwhelming joy, he felt like he could melt at any moment. The butterflies he did not know he would miss so much returned to flutter around his stomach as he watched her shut her locker and grab her friend's elbow before moving on into her home room class. He continued to watch her walk away with a gaze so soft and fond that Jeongguk, along with other bystanders, could feel the warmth and tenderness radiating from Taehyung's whole being. Finally, he had found her.

"So, you think you could tell me about her?"

"You know what? I think I will."

Please make sure to vote, comment, and follow if you wish!

See you in the next chapter!