HAUNTED VISION

This is a rather strange thing that I am going to relate to you, or at least try to, anyway. When I was a boy, I developed amnesia and the spell lasted so long, that a whole year is gone from my life. When I did recover, everything was just as it was, as far as I could tell, and so I lived a simple, normal life.

I grew up. Got married. Had kids. Bought a house. You know, the usual. Then something rather odd happened. I started seeing a strange, little boy, gallivanting about my neighborhood.

At first, he stayed very far away, but little by little, he made his way closer. He seems familiar and I can't understand why. Then one day, it strikes me like lightning, it's me! The way I was as a little boy.

At first, I don't believe it. After all, how could it be possible? But no matter how many times I reason it out, there he is, like a phantom, or some such thing. But he does not behave like an apparition.

He romps, plays and runs, just like a little kid. After all, he is, for all intents and purposes, a little boy who loves to play. So, I've taken to calling him Stevie. Because that is what they used to call me, when I was his age.

It became very clear early on that no one else can see Stevie but me and more than once, my observations of this invisible person, caused a few wary glances from the neighbors.

I thought about seeing a doctor, but the truth is, I like Stevie and I don't want to be rid of him. There was even an occasion approached me, and made physical contact for the first time.

I was sitting on the porch swing when I caught sight of the apparition coming toward me. He stopped directly in front of me with a serious look on his face.

"It's coming," he said as he placed a hand on my shoulder. "The thing that made us forget. The terrible thing." Slowly, he withdrew his hand as he stepped backward, regarding me with somber eyes, while mine remained as big as dinner plates. In this way we remained locked for an indeterminate amount of time.

Stevie was the first to break from the gaze and turned on his heel as he walked down the steps and into the midst of my children, where he joined in the play, as though nothing had happened. In the meantime, I remained frozen in my seat, but my stupor didn't last long and gradually, I returned to reality. After which, I rose from my seat and walked to the porch railing.

With my head still in a haze, I watched my children play. They flashed me a smile and I returned it. I didn't want them to know the raging torrent of questions my mind had become. All of which, revolved around what kind of incident could possibly have such an effect on so little a boy?

I was pondering over this conundrum when a hand on my shoulder silenced my raging thoughts. It was my wife, Carmelita. She smiled at me and I smiled back. After which, we both watched the children play.

Slowly, my thoughts drifted from Stevie and settled on my significant other. I had been so wrapped up in myself, that I had completely forgotten about her. What must she be thinking? Had she noticed my absentmindedness? Had she seen me following a phantom? If she had, she did not let on.

Several days later, I'm back to sitting on the porch swing, sipping an iced tea, while I watch Stevie and my little ones playing in the sandbox. Suddenly, the phantasmal child stops moving and slowly stands up, flashing me a look of complete terror. before dashing toward the side yard and out of sight.

I hurry to the other side of the porch and am just able to see him disappear into the backyard. A sweat starts to break out, all over my body. I need to know what the terrified boy is up to, but I can't leave my kids. I try to ignore the strange occurrence and focus only on my offspring, but my eyes simply will not stop roaming toward the backyard.