Where are you?

~Chapter1~

It took me a while to understand the true feelings I had for Kat. At first I thought it might be anger. Then sadness. Depression. It also took me a while to finally grasp the fact that Kat only loved me as a brother, nothing more, nothing less. Nobody understood the lonliness I felt. When you love someone like I do, you will know that it is the best feeling in the world...but it is also more painful than anyone can even imagine.

I slumped my shoulders and strode along the catwalk just outside our house. I was off to pick up Kat, as she was at her best friend's house. The sun was high in the sky, casting low shadows onto the ground. I regretted not putting sunscreen on, it was scorching. I wiped my forehead and watched my feet apear, then disapear. Apear, then disapear. In a home like this, you didn't get much entertainment, so you had to make do with what you had.

I was around halfway there, when my phone rang. "Hello?" I regretted not getting caller ID.

A muffled voice on the end of the line told me it was probably Lisa, Kat's friend. "Hey? It's Lis. Do you know where Kat is?"

My mind wirled. Wouldn't she be there? "Uh, I was just about to come and pick her up. Wasn't she with you? Goddamnit, Lisa! I told you to be careful with Kat."

A squeal on the end of the line. "I-I gotta go. Check y-your house. I'm sorr-." Then a click. Midsentence. I had to find Kat, the tension burrowing into my muscles ached, and it made my face and arms grow hot. "Fuck." I started running. I didn't bother to watch my feet, I probably couldn't, anyway. I was going too fast. My breathing became rapid as my phone rang again. I didn't want to answer it. But maybe it was Kat.

My hand shook as I flipped open the phone. "Kat?!"

A clank like metal hitting metal. I heald my breath. "No. It's Willow."

I had to breathe, I was starting to feel dizzy. I didn't realize how long I heald my breath. "Willow..."

Willow is my girlfriend, see. She was on a trip to find some good colleges. "You uh, find any good colleges, love?" My voice cracked at "love". It reminded me of Kat.

"Not so far. But there is this one tha-"

My eyes flashed, and I saw our house. I had to know if she was there. "I can't talk right now, Will. I love you." I clicked shut my phone and leaped onto our top step, missing every single one of the others. I stared at our house. The shingles were falling off and the door hinges were rusty. Most of the pannels on the windows were broken, and the paint was chipping. But at least we had a fucking house.

"MOM!" I ripped open the door, slamming it shut as I stepped in. I didn't bother to wipe my feet. The mat was ratted anyways, and floors were dirty. It wouldn't of made much of a difference.

"Kat!?" I screamed and walked into the kitchen.

"Shut up." Kat squealed and rolled a chess piece across a board, throwing her hands up as our mom sighed. "Check mate! Aha!"

Mom rolled her eyes and looked at me. "Hello, dear."

I squeazed my fists into a ball, growing tense. "Kat. Where...where were you?"

She and mom looked at me like I was nuts. What's going on?

"Uh, Amm, I sent you a call. Didn't you get it? I told you I was coming home early."

I shook my head, my