Chapter 1

They call me an addict. Me? I tell them it's none of their business. And it's not. If I want to have 20 cokes or more a day then I will have my twenty or more cokes. If I want to throw away my life than damn it I will. But when you have more than twenty cokes a day, people call you an addict. They tell me I'm throwing my life away, but I've never felt more alive or could think more clearly! I don't care about some stupid job as an artist that nobody even knew existed. I was a nobody, but now? Now I'm somebody! I feel like I could do anything I want and it's like the very world is at my command. Who in their right mind would ever willingly give that up?

Not me.

Not ever.

But they also tell me they'll take it all away. That they'll send me to rehab. That I won't get to have the twenty or more cokes or the Xanax or whatever else I've gotten hidden among my apartment. And I can't live with that. So I lie and pretend that I want to get better. I even cried a few times and gave them some stupid sob story that they all fell for. Idiots.

It was all good. I would go to those meetings everyday Tuesday and sometimes Thursdays to throw them off. I never actually went there though. Instead I would just sneak out the back and do drugs there. 

But then he caught me. 

His name is Anthony and he is as skinny as a toothpick. 

I'm guessing he's one of the kids for group. Which means he actually cares about 'changing'. And it turns out I was right because then he said, "You realize you have to actually go in right?"

"Yeah, dude I'm not an idiot." I say finishing the last of what I brought of the coke. Damn it. 

"That's debatable considering instead of attending the meeting like you tell your friends, you're out here doing what you swear you're giving up: drugs. That seems pretty stupid to me." he says, crossing his arms.

"Yeah, well nobody asked for your opinion. And do me a favor and leave me the fuck alone, stalker." I spat, walking back into the building. The meeting should be ending about now.

"I'm not stalking you. And I really don't care if anybody asked for my opinion because what you're doing is wrong-" He lectured, jogging to keep up with my quick pace.

"Well you aren't an officer so I really don't have to give a damn about what your opinion on the matter is. And what? What you're doing is right?" I say turning on him.  "Honestly, you're in no position to judge. So back the hell off, fat ass." I shout, as I approach the front entrance, my hand centimeters from the door knob.

"I'll turn you in." he blurts out.

Instinctively, I turn around but the boy looks just as surprised by his own words. Coward. I roll my eyes but my hand continued to linger around the cold brass knob. "Good luck with that kid." I huff, turning the knob.

"I'll do it you know." He speaks up, grabbing the door knob and pulling it shut again.

"No, actually I don't know." I bite back. I was getting tired of this kid fast. Was it so much to ask for some peace and quiet? "I don't know who the hell you are and frankly I don't give a damn. What I choose to do what my free time and what I decide to tell my friends about it is none of your business. What are they doing in those meetings anyways? Offering you first pick from the shitty doughnuts and a clap on the back if you manage to get another poor sicko to go to the meetings with you?"

The boy looks at me incredulously, if I didn't know any better I would even say he looked bemused. "My name is Anthony." he says. "Now you know me. And they don't serve shitty doughnuts, they serve shitty coffee. Maybe you'd know that if you bothered to show up. I just think it isn't fair for you to be lying to your friends. Especially since you're one of those 'sickos' too."