Chapter Twenty One

The doctors kept Olivia in hospital for two weeks monitoring her. Tom continued to stay with her around the clock only leaving Olivia for an hour each day. Ben had returned home to be with his wife and children now that Olivia was on the mend but he made the drive up to Manchester every couple of days to visit.

Olivia had barely spoken a word since finding out that she was infertile in fact she had barely done anything. She just sat and stared at the white walls only eating when food was pushed in front of her. She didn't really want to eat, she didn't really want to do anything. She just wanted to be able to forget about everything that had happened but that was impossible. She wanted to go back to being happy in London with Tom but she knew that would never be the same again. How could it be the same?

Tom tried everyday to get Olivia to talk. To tell him how she was feeling, to talk to him about everything that had happened but she always remained quiet. It killed Olivia not to be able to talk to Tom but how could she tell him that she wished Richard had just killed her instead of leaving her in the state she was. How would you make anyone understand that. Olivia's dream had always been to have a family of her own and when she finally thought she had found the perfect man this dream had been taken from her by a monster. How could she let Tom continue to be with her? One day it will come to that stage in their relationship where Tom will be ready to have children and Olivia won't be able to give him any. He will begin to resent her and they will begin to hate each other.

After two weeks of Olivia not talking Tom spoke to the doctors about it. They weren't concerned and believed it just to be shock. They were hopeful that once she was back in her home environment she would begin to talk again and open up to everyone but if not they would be able to arrange counselling for her.

Olivia's bruises were slowly beginning to fade more and more as each day passed but the bones would take much longer to heal. They weren't able to do much with the collar bone and the ribs except tell Olivia to rest but her wrist was in plaster and her previously dislocated shoulder was in a sling. The doctors had also advised that some of the lacerations would leave permanent scarring. For Olivia the external scarring was nothing as from now her heart would be forever scarred.

As the day finally arrived where Olivia was being discharged from the hospital. Olivia finally spoke for the first time. Her parents and Tom were packing all her belongings into a bag when she coughed slightly and spoke her first words.

"Mum, Dad, please can you leave Tom and I alone for a minute please?" She asked.

Just pleased to hear Olivia talking again her parents quickly agreed and left the room closing the door behind them. Tom glad to hear she finally wanted to talk to him quickly moved over towards the bed and sat beside her.

"Is everything ok?" He asked as he took her hand in his. As much as it pained her to do it she pulled her hand away from him.

"I need to tell you Tom that I am going to stay in Manchester." Olivia said.

"Okay I can understand that. You want to be around your parents. I can book myself into a hotel that's fine" Tom replied just pleased to hear Olivia finally talking.

"No Tom, I don't think you understand, I want you to go back to London today" Olivia replied. By now she had turned her gaze away from him and was staring back at the wall again desperately trying to hold back the tears which would give the whole game away.

"Erm Okay, I guess we could make this long distance. Lots of people make it work" Tom replied now really confused. Olivia knew she was just going to have to come out and say it no matter how hard it was going to be for her.

"Tom I don't want to be with you anymore. I am breaking up with you" Olivia replied as she bit down on her lip hard to stop the tears.

"Olivia you are in shock. Have some space and stay with your parents and have a good think but please don't do this" Tom begged. "I love you."

Olivia's heart desperately screamed at her begging her not to say what she was about to say but her brain knew that it was going to be the only way for Tom to accept what she wanted. She took a deep breath and turned her gaze back to Tom looking deep into his eyes in the hopes that this would help convince him.

"Tom I don't love you anymore."

Tom stared at Olivia as he took in her words for a minute, letting them truly sink in before his eyes began to fill with tears. He stood up from his seat and walked towards the door.

Olivia's heart was screaming at her to make her stop him to tell him it was all a lie and she was sorry. To tell him that she would never want to leave him but she never did. Instead she watched as Tom opened the door and went to walk out before he hesitated and stopped. He turned back to look at Olivia.

"I don't think I could ever stop loving you. Goodbye Olivia" he said and with that he walked out and was gone.

As Olivia slumped back into her bed and let the tears finally fall, her heart finally stopped screaming at her as it shattered into a thousand pieces each piece stabbing her with more pain than Richard had ever been able to inflict on her.