To First Dates

Luffy's eyes flashed over to the woman smiling down at them, unaware of the tension she'd just intterupted. He couldn't be more thankful of her timing.

Without bothering to glance over at Torao, he nodded his answer to her question and said the first thing that came into his mind.

"Do you guys have cheeseburgers?"

The waitress blinked.

"Well, um... I don't think we do, sorry. Is there anything off the menu you'd like to order?"

Luffy pouted before looking down at the menu in front of him. He couldn't even pronounce most of the things on here! And the prices were higher than what he spent on groceries in a week alone!

"I think we'd like a couple more minutes."

Luffy's eyes flickered up to Torao and, forgetting his previous frustration at him in a second, gave the man a big smile.

As the woman walked away Torao gave a sigh, dragging his hand down his face before noticing his smile. The man's cheeks tinted a light pink before he averted his eyes, looking out the window beside them. He wondered what that was about.

"Do you want me to help you with the menu, Luffy-ya?"

His smile grew.

"Nah, I'm okay. I don't know what most of the stuff on here is anyway. What the hell kinda job do you have to afford this stuff, anyway?"

Luffy was never one to be blunt.

"Well, I'm a surgeon at the hospital a little ways from here. This is one of my favorite restaurants, but if you don't like it, I would be fine with going somewhere else."

Luffy's eyes sparkled with amazement. He'd seemed to forget all his former apprehensions, content to just sit and chat with the man now.

"Wow! You'd have to be really smart to do all that stuff! Are you smart? My friend Robin is really smart too! But I don't get to see her that much since she's always going on adventures! She's an archaeologist!"

Law blinked.

"Oh, that's nice. And...thanks?"

Luffy gave a giggle, failing to notice how the other man's face seemed to light on fire at the sound.

"But yeah, I don't like this place. It's too fancy! I feel like I'd have to wear a tux just to be allowed in here, it's a wonder I was even let in! Plus everyone's staring at us. And that's not very nice, so let's go!"

Law gave a chuckle and Luffy gave his own little laugh, beaming up at the taller as they stood up from their seats. It took a second before he opened his eyes and caught sight of Law's face smiling down at him, and his face was set aflame, quick to start making his way out of the building.

"So what kind of place did you have in mind, Luffy-ya?"

Luffy furrowed his eyebrows.

"Um...I know! My friend's dad owns a really good restaurant downtown, and sometimes he lets me eat there for free!"

Law gave a small nod, following Luffy down the street and watching him dance around with all the grace of a hyperactive puppy, constantly chatting about one thing or another, breaching topics he didn't even pretend to comprehend.

His eyes followed every movement he made. How his steps had a little jump in them, much more pep than before when he'd met him at the brewery. He had walked as enthusiastically as a man walking towards his own grave had then, he could hardly believe the vibrant man he was talking to now was the same person.

"-and that's why we don't let Zoro drive anymore. Hey Torao! Do you have an infinite supply of lollipops 'cause you're a doctor? I always wondered how they had so many."

He blinked.

"Um, sorry, I don't. Maybe children's doctors do though?"

Luffy gave him a thoughtful look.

"Yeah, that makes more sense... you're so smart Torao! You and Robin would really get along! I should introduce you guys sometime! And then you can meet Brook, and Zoro, and Chopper, and Franky, and Usopp, and then you'll all become best friends and it'd be great!"

Law gave him a small smile, content with indulging the younger man for now. "You have a lot of friends, Luffy-ya."

He let out one of his signature giggles that Law was growing entirely too attached to, eyes twinkling with amusement and filling Law's chest with warmth.

After that their evening went much better. Although a little apprehensive about the restaurant Luffy had taken him to after seeing an old man throw out one the customers as they walked in, he soon discovered that their food was amazing and noted that he would have to come back here sometime.

He and Luffy talked, though he was mainly just answering the younger's strange questions, for the whole night. Hours passed and it felt like minutes. The only reason they stopped was because the old man had come over to their table and yelled that they were closing, so the two "brats" better get out before he throws us out himself.

He had granted Luffy farewell after that, walking home with a fuzzy feeling in his chest and feeling happier than he had in his entire life.

Only when he was lying in bed hours later, staring at the ceiling and unable to sleep from the excitement in his heart, did he realize that he never saw Luffy's soulmark.