Chapter 26

At first, they were just enjoying the delicious food and drinks while the sun was warming up their skins, but soon enough their hunger was satiated and a different kind of hunger started letting itself known. It was the need, the craving, for two lips to become one.

When their meal was over, John gathered all the leftovers and put them back in the basket so there was nothing else left on the blanket, but the two of them sitting close together.

Gem could feel the warmth of John's body radiating into hers, and she wanted to feel his skin under her hands. She wondered what it would feel like to brush her hands through his hair, to feel those gentle lips of his on her own.

"Would it be as perfect as it was before?" Gem thought as she lowered her eyes to his full, wet lips.

John caught the action, and it was all the encouragement he needed as he slowly lowered his lips to meet hers in an explosion of taste and tenderness. The kiss was gentle and her lips tasted like strawberries she had eaten before. John wanted more, he wanted so much more, but there was still fear in his heart, fear that she would run away.

As if sensing his fear, Gem looked him in the eyes and kissed him with all the gentleness she could muster.

Soon enough, John was returning the kiss with eagerness.

What started as a soft kiss, heated up into a passionate kiss in which both of them were lost and unaware of their actions.

Before they knew it, Gem was straddling John, and one of her hands was brushing through his soft hair, while the other one was used as a leverage to pull him closer and deepen the kiss. A soft moan escaped her lips, and she couldn't believe her body could let out such a needy sound.

Maybe it shouldn't have come as a surprise to her since in the last few days she was starving for John's touch, John's kisses and now that she had all of that it was a sensory overload that could only be let out in the form of moans and sighs.

John's hand was around her waist, while the other one was cupping her cheek, gently stroking it while kissing her breathless. Even after they came up for air, they didn't stop exploring each other's tastes and textures.

While Gem was breathing heavily, John trailed wet kisses down her jaw. Then, he followed the gentle curve of her neck until reaching the part where her neck and shoulder met.

He could feel her jugular vein pulsating rapidly, and he started gently sucking on her neck which made her weak at the knees, pulsating with different sensations than she had ever felt.

On reflex, her hands pulled him even closer, not leaving any space between their bodies, burning in the flames of passion. John let out a shaky sound, which was the most vulnerable sound Gem had ever heard, and it was obvious that she was having as much power over him as he did over her. Thus, she decided to try out her newfound power.

As he lifted his head to look into her passion-clouded eyes, she took over the control and started slowly and sensuously kissing his lips. Then she proceeded to gently nibble on his lower lip, which caused a shiver to run down his body. Being a fast learner, she gently bit again and heard him moan loudly and gruffly.

"Well, well, he likes that." She thought to herself with a smirk.

That was when she slowly lowered her lips and gently bit into his neck, and it brought a smile to her face to hear him catch his breath and let out a sexy moan that made her whole body melt into a puddle of emotions and sensations.

It became so heated that she felt as if it was scorching hot outside when she knew it was just warm enough to have a picnic outside. Although she loved being that close to John, exploring his reactions to her touches and kisses, she knew that they had to stop since she wasn't ready for them to go any further, and she was unsure of her self-control when it came to John.

It was clear that she wanted to be close to him in any way possible, but they were on the riverbank, in a public area, and there she was losing herself in the wonder that was John when she was always the one against public displays of affections.

She slowly moved away from John.

"Is everything okay?" John asked.

His expression of pure pleasure changed to one of worry in a matter of seconds.

"Everything is great. I just think we need some water." She said, smiling at him.

"To drink or to pour over ourselves to cool down?" He asked, laughing out loud.

"I guess both would be advisable." She said, laughing with him.

As John pulled out two plastic glasses to pour them some water, Gem pulled out her phone and quickly sent a message to her mother that everything was okay. After the day she just had, she didn't want her mother to ruin it with her antics the moment she got home.

Both she and John were trying to get their breaths back, and although she didn't regret what happened between the two of them, she did feel embarrassed that they were making out in such a public place where anyone could see them.

The rest of their picnic was spent chatting about anything and everything and laughing their hearts out. They were lying on their backs, looking at the clouds while holding hands talking about anything that came to mind.

It was the most perfect day Gem had had in a long time, and the same was true for John.

Surprisingly enough, even after John drove Gem home, and they said a passionate goodbye, the day wasn't ruined in any shape or form by their respective families. That in itself was a wonder since neither of their families was known for being a perfect little family living in a picket-fenced house.

Gem decided to take what she could get as she smiled at her reflection in the bathroom mirror, getting ready for bed. The person she saw in the mirror wasn't the same one she had known for years, and it was amazing. The girl looking back at her had a smile etched on her lips and eyes sparkling with joy. It made for a nice change.

As for John, he was happy that for once, his father was sober and that he could pretend he was just a regular guy who went on date and was still enjoying the memory of all the kisses and gentle caresses that the day brought him.

Neither one of them could feel the storm that awaited them, they were too happy to sense the trouble ahead, even if they had no one can outrun a storm.