𝕚 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕖

𝟚𝟙𝕤𝕥 𝕞𝕒𝕣𝕔𝕙 𝟙𝟡𝟠𝟜

chaeyoung woke up wrapped in a pair of unfamiliar arms and a rose coloured blanket. a light breeze ruffled through her hair and the smell of cinnamon and sugar invaded her nose. she smiled softly, but an unbearable pain shot through her left arm causing her face to contort in agony and a small whimper to leave her lips. the body next to her began to shift at her sudden movements, and a familiar face popped up from behind the pillow. mina.
the girls face shone in the morning sunlight, lips plump from sleep and eyes laced with glowing honey.

"hey," she mumbled drowsily, rubbing the sleep from her eyes with the back of her hand, "sleep well?"

"y-yeh," chaeyoung muttered, cheeks turning the same colour as their blanket. mina was so, so beautiful, it had come to be distracting. "it's surprisingly comfortable on the roof."

mina's lips curved up into a soft smile and she plopped her head back down onto the pillow, "yeh, i like it better up here too."

chaeyoung sighed contently and rolled onto her side. completely forgetting about her arm an excruciating pain rushed through her body, causing her to let out an even louder yelp than before. mina's head shot up and her worried eyes scanned the younger girl.

"chaeng what wrong?" she hesitated, "is it your head? i knew i should have dressed it again, i'm so stupid" mina rambled, poking and prodding chaeyoung's face looking for a problem.

"mina stop, my face is fine," chaeyoung whined, grabbing mina's hand, "it's my arm, i think i broke it last night," she said simply.

"YOU WHAT," the older girl remarked, eyes widening in frustration, "you think you're arm is broken and it just slips your mind! why didn't you tell me stupid? we're going to the hospital right now." she ranted, jumping up from the blankets and pulling chaeyoung up carefully.

the older girl led chaeyoung through the house, ignoring a confused momo standing in the hallway and making her way to the pick up truck.

"are you sure you're okay, do you want me to get you an ice pack? or i could get you some tablets, oh my god how could i not have realised," mina rambled as she opened the truck door for the younger girl, eyes darting around nervously.

"mina i'm fine," chaeyoung assured, "don't worry about me."

mina sighed, hoping into the front seat, "but i do worry," she admitted, "i care about you chaeyoung i can't help but worry."

if chaeyoung had gotten into this situation any other way then maybe she would've been flustered. perhaps even told mina that she cared about her too, but there was a constant evil nagging at the back of her mind. one that wouldn't let her appreciate the time she was spending with the older girl. because she had problems she needed to face. things she needed to work out.
so she sunk into the passengers seat, muttering a small "okay" and remained silent for the rest of the ride.

when they pulled up to the hospital chaeyoung couldn't help but feel intimidated. she'd never been to hospital before. ever. sure, she'd sustained injuries, but from early on she knew her mother didn't care enough to go get her checked out.

the place was unnaturally clean. the walls painted a blinding shade of white and the floor so spotless chaeyoung could see her own reflection. it was safe to say she didn't look great. the gash on her forehead had swollen and the whole of her right cheek was bruised. she anxiously intertwined her pinky with mina's and the older girl sent her a reassuring smile.
chaeyoung let mina talk to the receptionist and took a seat in the waiting room. her knee bobbed up and down nervously as she scanned the building. families huddled up on chairs and parents comforted their injured children. chaeyoung couldn't help the burning pit of jealousy building up in her stomach. with gritted teeth she planted her foot in the floor as to stop the movement in her knee. it reminded her of her brother and their fiery encounter just yesterday.
her head whipped to the side as her thoughts were interrupted by shouting in a nearby hallway. it seemed a fight had broken out between a doctor and their patient as the two came stumbling into the waiting area. chaeyoung's hands slammed over her ears to block out the screaming and she could see it was about to get physical by the rage in the patient's eyes. when the first punch was thrown she could almost hear the sickening crunch as the man's fist met the doctor's jaw. she knew how much that hurt.
her eyes slammed shut and her breathing became rapid.
she needed to leave.
she couldn't watch.
run.
she forced her eyes tighter and could feel the stinging of tears brimming.
she needed to leave.
now.
run.
"i'm okay" she chanted to herself, "i'm okay i'm okay i'm okay."
but she wasn't. her whole life had become some intolerable nightmare and she couldn't take another second of it. she clenched her fists dangerously tighter and a deafening sob left her lips. the walls were closing in and her whole body trembled. her chest rose, but there was nothing. she couldn't breathe. she couldn't brea

mina.
as if an angel ascending from heaven she dropped everything and took chaeyoung in her arms. whispering sweet nothing in her ear she led the younger girl outside, never once letting go. she ran her fingers through the brunette's hair softly, wanting nothing more than to take the pain away. she wondered how much chaeyoung's mother had hurt her, not just physically but mentally too. she felt like crying, how could anyone hurt someone so genuinely beautiful inside and out, but she had to be strong. for chaeyoung.

"you're okay," she whispered, pulling the girl impossibly closer, "you're safe with me,
i promise."