26. This Is A Normal Day?

A/N
Hello~ Sorry for not posting in awhile. I am busy with school projects and my exams are coming up so chapters will be slow. However! Here is a chapter :) I will also be making a song list on Spotify for those who want to hear what I listen to while writing SpaceMan. Sad warning. Next chapters will be of the past through others' eyes. 

----

Does Dave even know what my normal day is? I wake up late for school and throw on whatever I can find then run to class to receive a warning from the teacher. I sit next to Cody and do classwork. I actually just doodle while the teacher does his lecture. I'd just get notes from Cody later. If it's that hard then he can just go read chapter one again.

As I stand in front of the high school building, I remember that I've missed so many classes. Even Mister Pickins will have my head. Suddenly, my feet don't want to move forward. Instead, they want to run away and hide. Things are crashing down around me without me helping it. Things look hopeless. The world seems in ruin. What kind of hero lets the world die willingly?

I force my steps forward past the dull brown leaves scattered all over the path. I make sure to step on as many cracks in the pavement as I can, wishing the superstition was real and that woman would be in agony for creating me. The wind rustles everything around me, creating tiny whirlwinds over the ground. If I'm not careful enough, I could be whisked away like those damaged leaves thrown out by dormant trees. Trees that don't care about what they created and let them die. They only care for themselves.

My steps crush those cast away leaves and make my way inside the building. Cold halls and weeping lockers greet me. Barely anyone is here and the ones that are seem to have a depressing spell cast over them. No one looks at each other. Everyone is silent.

I find my locker clear of any threat notes or death wishes and open it to find flowers. They're wilted and smell awful. I turn around to see of anyone has noticed but there is no one. I turn back to the flowers and rip them from the dry vase. I crush their stalks in my hands and quickly throw them into the bin across the hall. I scour the walls to see if my tormenter is anywhere watching but there is no one.

Where is everyone? The first lesson hasn't started yet and it's Thursday. Where's Cody? He's normally immediately at my side in the mornings making fun of me.

"Jack," my name is echoed through the hallway.

I try to find the source but there is no one.

"Jack."

I spin anxiously.

"Jack Huillivan."

"Where are you!" I shout out frustrated. "Stop calling and come out!"

"Jackie." I spin around and Mikhail stands quietly in the middle of the hall.

"Were you calling me?"

"No." He looks at me strangely.

"Is this another one of your illusions? The bad dreams? Please, make them stop," I beg him.

"No."

"Why are you so quiet? You're usually loud. The opposite," I force a chuckle.

"You don't know, do you?"

"What?" I force my smile up. "What are you talking about? Where is everyone? Where is Cody?" I look around for him again.

"They're all dead. It's all your fault."

"Dave!" I call out to him. "This isn't a normal day! Take it back!"

"It's all because of you, Jack. We all mean nothing to you. Stop torturing us and kill us already!"

I'm not going to look at him. He's not real. This is all another bad dream.

"Dave-" I sob, "You promised."

----

I ran out of school and locked myself inside my room. I dive under my blankets and try to muffle my sobs with the worn material. Everything is so dark and dreary. It's as if the world ended and everyone except me died. Where is everyone?

I go to take my phone out of my back pocket where I normally put it but it's not there. I search my other pockets but nothing. I stop when I remember that I had lost my phone at Kage's house. A cold sweat covers my body and the place that used to be a hole aches. I still don't know what happened that day ... But I need to make sure people are still alive.

I leave my house without my army jacket and run up that road where my father's memories still lie. His terrified eyes still live on that road and are buried into that tree along with that black car that killed him. I run past the trees that still breathe and hold their leaves. They wave to me on my way then go back to continue fishing for dead bodies.

I spot the Donvi house and speed up to the large glass doors. I bang on them with no breath. I peek through the glass at the entrance but see no one. I try the door and find it unlocked. I race inside and up the stairs to Kage's bedroom. The only door that is completely black like his soul. I enter and find it cleaned up and the bed made. I immediately beeline to his side drawers and throw out everything that isn't my phone.

I turn around to search his cupboard but Kage is leaning against his doorframe hunched over. His breathing is laboured and his clothes are torn and covered in dried blood.

"Jackie. Run." He collapses onto the floor, fresh blood pooling around him on the wood paneled floor.

How can this be? The boy who scares me the most in this world is now the one who is dying in front of me. Do I save him or let him die? Considering everything he's done to me, it wouldn't be bad to let him die. Everyone is dead so why must he be the only one I save?

I didn't even save my father when he was begging for me to help him.