Chapter 30

Sharptalon gasped in shock. This cat was crazy! 

Rabbittail's ears flattened. "I wouldn't allow your filthy paws to get on my mentor, so I killed him myself. I put him out of his misery anyway.... Kestrelflight was sick and was suffering everyday," Rabbittail sighed. 

Sharptalon blinked at him. "What proof do you have that I was going to kill him?" He growled.

"I saw Wolffang with you at the gathering. I knew what you were feeling," Rabbittail growled. "But you didn't have the intention to put him out of his suffering, you had the intention to murder him."

Sharptalon bristled, unsheathing his claws. "How can you see Wolffang?" He hissed.

"I'm not sure," Rabbittail answered. "But I did receive a message from StarClan: The sharper the talons are, the worse the damage will be."

Sharptalon glared at the tom.

Breezepelt came from around the rock, flattening his ears. "What are you two arguing about?" He hissed.

"Nothing," Sharptalon growled quickly, his thoughts racing. Rabbittail was out of his mind. I will come back and kill him. He's a danger now that he knows what I intended to do. 

"How is Crowfeather doing?" Breezepelt's question jerked Sharptalon back to the present. 

"He's fine," Sharptalon answered quickly. 

"Typical Crowfeather. Abandons his son and his Clan for a stupid ThunderClan she-cat," Breezepelt growled, stalking off. 

Rabbittail glared at Sharptalon still. "You should leave now. You are well enough to go back to your Clan."

"I'm not. You could kill my Clanmates while I'm away," Sharptalon growled. Echostrike had lost her memory and Needlepaw was just an apprentice. They would easily die to Rabbittail, a full grown tom.

"You think just because I killed Kestrelflight, I'd kill your two friends? You're pathetic," Rabbittail growled. He turned around quickly, stalking off.

Sharptalon stared after him, a growl rising in his throat. He didn't trust this tom. He stalked back to the medicine den. Echostrike and Needlepaw were asleep. He lay down by Echostrike, his thoughts whirling. After what seemed like forever, he finally fell asleep.

Two days had passed since being in WindClan's camp. Sharptalon was crouched down beside Echostrike, eating a rabbit. Needlepaw was sitting beside him. She'd been very quiet since first coming here.

Sharptalon took another bite of rabbit. He glanced at Needlepaw. "Are you hungry?" He asked.

Needlepaw's head turned toward him, her dull eyes locking with his. She didn't say anything, just sat there. 

Sharptalon tore a small bite of flesh from the rabbit's flank. He pawed it over to Needlepaw. He hoped she'd eat it. But he noticed something else strange about her. She seemed really tired. A cut was at the tip of her ear.

Sharptalon turned away from her, shaking suspicion from his thoughts. She hadn't been fighting in three days. How could a cut in her ear-tip look that fresh? Sharptalon's whiskers twitched. Was she training in the Dark Forest? 

Paw steps behind Sharptalon made him turn. He saw Gorsestar padding up to them, his eyes shimmering. 

"Greetings, Sharptalon, Echostrike, and Needlepaw. Are you all well enough to travel now?" Gorsestar asked, his tail-tip flicking.

"I am," Sharptalon answered. Needlepaw looked well enough too.

"My head hurts... G-Gorsestar," Echostrike mumbled. "I don't want to leave my Clanmates."