𝐈.

emerson leaned against her headboard, scrolling through youtube, trying to find anything even semi-interesting to watch. she'd recently watched a few readings of creepypasta stories and now her recommended tab was filled with them. it'd only been a passing interest, one fueled by her need for middle school nostalgia, and that was it. now, most of the crackheaded videos she usually watched were mostly replaced said videos, save for a few tik tok and vine compilations she'd most likely already seen. huffing in frustration, she exited the app and threw her legs over the side of her bed, shoving the device in her back pocket and instead opting to get water. she'd just refresh the youtube page until she finally got something close to what she wanted.

even though it was only ten pm, but the house was already completely dark. she was still used people in the house active until the late hours of the night (probably why her sleep schedule was so messed up), but since she got moved to a different, more strict foster home, lights went out around eight. way too early for her liking. emerson carefully opened her door, cringing a little at the squeak it made the slower she opened it and peaked around to make sure no one was still up and about. tip toeing through the hallway and down the stairs in her sock clad feet, she made her way to the kitchen. her worst mistake was not turning on a light so she could at least see where she was walking, and it ended in her slamming her toe against the kitchen counter.

"ah f--" she cut herself off to keep as quiet as she could, gripping the counter and essentially curling in on herself in pain. after a few moments she exhaled and squinted through the darkness, reaching for where she thought the light switch was. once the light flooded the kitchen, she half hobbled over to the cabinet filled with cups and went up on her toes, reaching for the nearest plastic cup. she was just glad that some of the cups were close to the edge, her 5'4 self could barely reach it. filling the bob the builder cup with water from the fridge, she gently spun around once on the bar stool at the counter and pulled her phone out from her pocket, taking a sip of the water. ten pm water hit her dehydrated self a different way.

it only took a few times of refreshing the youtube page before she caught a misfits video that looked interesting enough. sadly, just as she clicked the video, she got a text. immediately opening the message from adrian, she skimmed over the words.

cucumber head

are you up

foolish of you to think i sleep

cucumber head

you're right

are you up for a late night mcdonald's adventure

!!!!!

hell yeah !

are we meeting at the mcdonald's or .....?

cucumber head

i may or may not be waiting for you in front of your house already

rstgbj alright, i'll be out in a minute

seen

emerson quickly downed her water before placing it in the sink and turning off the kitchen light, praying she wouldn't slam her toes into any other objects. she made her way to the front door where her tennis shoes were and threw them on. it was nights like these where she was thankful for her laziness that made it impossible for her to put on pajamas before going to bed. she quietly unlocked and opened the door a crack, looking up to the second story, hoping that no one would hear the noise by accident. when she deduced that the coast was clear, she threw open the door, but not before grabbing an extra house key from the bowl on the nearby table, and quietly shut the door, locking it behind her.