Chapter one

Not edited

The sky shone bright; pouring it's essence to the earth. Shades of numerous coloured leaves, living under the support of giant trees, all danced to the tone of breeze providing hope of securing a better future.

The distance chirps of birds floating in the air freely as they were destined to, some resting on several trees, resounded around the seemingly deserted area. As though suddenly angry, the sky changed its course from beauty to darkness. Dark clouds slowly, but with total determination, covered the face of the rising sun. It grew pregnant in a matter of seconds and ready for delivery. Thunder rumbled up above in obedience sending lightening in its wake to alert both the living and non living of a near downpour. It began with scarce drizzling, that soon grew heavy hitting whatever they found down several thousand miles below waking up dirt with ominous vigor. Slapped at the sleeping maiden sprawled on the slippery grass like a sleeping beauty patiently waiting for her true loves kiss.

Void paved way for a distant sensation. She felt herself pulled through a portal-like route back to reality. Purposely, precisely, she blinked her eyes open, just as quickly shut it back as few drops of rain landed with glee in her eyes. As though they had been waiting to do that for a long time.  Her weak self attempted to raise a hand, she dropped it back as the pain caging her body registered its presence in her brain cavity. She released a partially muffled cry that rose to her throat. If she doesn't get the hell out of that spot, she definitely shall be buried by the fast rising water surrounding her as it was already reaching to her shoulder at her lying position.

She tried once more, and this time, succeeded at leveling a hand up before it sailed back atop the gathering water before settling skeptically back to her side. Giving up, she closed her eyes and lay still. The memory of the night before crashed in her head like a war craft shooting through the surface of a planet. She shuddered snapping her eyes open—in time to link with pairs of remorselessly greyish-golden ones. Her brain shut down at the alien sight, providing her with nothing other than stare dumbly. She watched in inchoate incomprehensible fascination. Then, her mouth enlarged outpouring an ear-splitting scream that for a split second, stunned her observer a step back.

That seemed to be the energy she needed. She leaped to her quivering feet, and broke into a mad wild run down a sloppy road, with her prey in toe.  The hyena let up a delirious cry to the morning sky, in communication to his pack. Just as immediately, two raced out from adjacent directions and joined in the meat hunt. Determined to tear at her succulent soft flesh. The three hungrily ate up the distance between them and their straying food. Their shoulders hunched, chest puffed, teeths bared out angrily, nose flaring as they continued to chase the girl zigzagging her way down what she now realized to be a forest. Headache, one of her latest companion, announced its presence at the back of her skull. Her rounded large eyes filled with tears. Every fibre of her body barked for her to stop, but she kept running—actually, swaying and staggering away from the fast approaching animals behind her.

It is better to die escaping, than surrender to the possibly inevitable, she narrowly thought. In uniform with her musing, her heart repeatedly rammed vigorously against her chest, seeking for a way out. Intensifying her pounding skull. Fear clothed her like a sack that she could barely think above it.

Daring to steal a glance behind her, she regretted it. Her breath captured within her wind-pipe. Two more leap, and they would have her under their frightening teeths and claws. The involuntary picture of her separated flesh from her bone flashed before her eyes. Her cries of near death swallowed by the sound of the rain. The tears that had been stuck in her eyes gushed out, mixing with the rain like two separated twins engaging in a first lock embrace on reuniting again.

What had she done to the world to deserve all these horrors? She questioned to no one but herself. Her legs losing strength, and she reached the ground in no time. Chancing a glance behind her, she gave up completely, considering that maybe, just maybe, she was destined to die in the middle of nowhere, in the midst of endless irokos. How she had ended up in the dead zone is a matter she wouldn't live to research, so she concluded as she awaited her killers to assume their part in her fate.

However, streaks of lightning struck a stone throw beside her, the force uprooting a nearby tree. And naturally, as it should, it began speeding towards the ground, the very place her almost lifeless self was.  She managed a weak look between the hyenas and to the generous wood throwing its weight, uncaring of whom or what it would crush to death. Both party fighting to be the first to have the treat.

Which would be more easier? Getting smashed by the timber, her brain breaking free from her skull? Or torn in shred by the three now furiously looking predators? Before she would come up with a choice, she mindlessly rolled off, landing inside of a slope in time the three outstretched their limbs to finally descend on her, and the tree heaping down on them, crushing their bones in several tiny bits. Between panting, crying, and new found excitement, she gazed at the spot she'd once been, at the decoration occupying the space, at the wild dogs that still had their sharp blood-stained teeths bared at her, their eyes lifeless, but strangely filled with the promise of a ruthless revenge in the next life.

She curled up into a ball. Silently, she wept. Her shoulders rocking through the process. She'd come so close. So near to losing her life—again. Dizziness clouded her vision, sipping her consciousness into its depth. Gladly, she gave in.

******

Hooting growls of forest occupants generated. She awoke from her deep slumber, startled. How long had she been asleep? Worst, where would she go from here... Her thought scattered on recollecting that aspect of her new found life she had never thought to ever crease through.

The start of a breakdown shook her body. She cupped her round mold face in her little hands. The bottom of her lips quivered, her teeth rattled bitterly with the cold marrying her body and the confusion taking over her. How are they fairing? Where are they? How are they living through the nightmare? What situation are they currently battling with? Were they able to survive this far? Or had they been lost in the turbulence?

She coughed violently, her throat hurting like it'd been scraped clean with a knife. Is it possible to wake up and this all be a dream? To get off the comfort of her bed to be met with the presence of her family going about their morning duties before heading out for each of their respective daily routine? Her parent blessings on their children to motivate them through the day, and prayers for guidance to protect them through the night from lurking evil?

This wasn't the sort of future she had wished for while growing up. It was nowhere close to it. Each passing seconds, her life swaps from bad to worst making gradual descend to her end. Is there a way forward in this fucked up situation?

In answer to that essential question, a sharp scream borrowed the environment. She jerked up her head, and what she saw—silenced every functioning organ in her body.

------------------------

Authors note: Sorry for the long wait. I had been really busy with other stuffs. So how do you find this chapter? Boring or interesting? Anyways, I will be giving shout-outs to the highest sincere commenters in each of the chapters. Till next update!