Chapter One

The sun cuts through the thin woven cloth that hangs over the fruit stand. A wind billows through the street, threatening to let the parchment on the counter blow away. I can't see what's written on it from this angle. I could step from my hiding place and read the paper, which probably names the prices on the fruit, but I decide not to reveal myself. I tap my fingers on the wet stone under me, watching as a man sells fruits to people who walk by. A lady starts to argue with him but I don't care enough to listen. She grabs an apple and throws it on the floor. The man ducks down to catch it before it can roll away. Taking the perfect opportunity, I rise from my hiding spot and quickly grab an apple (okay maybe two) from the table. The man can see me out of the corner of his left eye. I spin on my toes, hoping I can get away. His face turns red in embarrassment and anger.

     His thunderous voice echoed through the streets, "THIEF! THIEF!" He chases me down the street, his feet are pounding faster than my heart and I can tell that somehow this pudgy old man is gaining on me. I steal a glance to measure his distance and realize that the pounding I had mistaken for the fruit seller was, in fact, three Tutamen with a net ready.

     "Aw sh*t. Not already." I mumble, my voice barely audible.

     The Tutamen slow down a little, they're probably exhausted running in the armor they have to run in. One of them shouts at me. "Stop girl or we--"

     "Won't hesitate to use force even on a child like me," I interrupt, "Yeah, yeah. I know what I'm getting into."

     "We don't want to have to do this!"

     "Neither do I! So let's make ourselves a peaceful little agreement shall we? No one needs to be captured! After all, I only wanted a meal!" I yell at them, turning to study the three tutamen. The one with the net gets ready to throw it at me. I back up slowly, eyeing the net carefully. "Come on guys. How about a good ol' I owe you?"

     The tutaman with the net sneers, "Sorry kiddo, but, 'I owe you's' don't work where you're going." He launches the net. My reflexes kick in and I dodge out of the way, rolling across the wet pavement into the mud. I guess he didn't wanna go the peaceful route.

     I'm already fifteen feet away before I realize I dropped the apples in the mud. I debate going back to grab them when the decision is made for me with a fast arrow that nicks the tip of my ear. I run faster, each foot propelling me forward.

     Last time I got caught stealing I got off easy. All I had to do was pull the "I'm-a-small-little-orphan-child-who's-starving-please-let-me-go-Ms-Judge" card and I was free to go. It was absolutely pathetic. The judge gave me 5 silver pieces, which I'm sure was probably all she made for the day and sent me on my way. I know that if I get caught again I won't be able to talk my way out.

     Another net is thrown. I move to the side where it shouldn't be able to get me, but its ropes unwind and wrap around my leg. I trip.

     "Sh*t!" I am beyond frustration. I was so close to my home. I had almost made it. The Tutaman wills the ropes to entangle me further. The ropes are so tight I can barely breathe.

     "Well, lookie who it is boys!" The tutamans entrancing voice weaves itself into my mind and I scowl. "The little orphan girl we got two weeks ago." D*mn. Had it only been two weeks?

     Before anyone else can speak I make eye contact with the man in front of me, "Using magic items against a thief is against Terra Bona law." I try my best to sound intimidating but the truth is, I'm terrified. The only thing keeping my hands from shaking are the ropes wrapped around them.

     The tutamen laugh. "Yeah. And when you go to court who are they gonna believe? Three loyal Tutamen or a frail little girl who's been caught stealing twice now?" He pauses and I think of a way I can turn this around.... I can't find one. "Aw come on. At least guess."