seven

OPTION B.
chapter seven

     "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BOYS AND GIRLS! IT'S THE DAY WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

     "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BOYS AND GIRLS! IT'S THE DAY WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR. THE DAY WE'VE ALL BEEN COUNTING DOWN TO SINCE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. A DAY THAT ONLY COMES ONCE EVERY YEAR. IT'S HOOOOMECOMIIIIING!"

The entire student body cheers from their seat in the bleachers, awaiting the pep rally festivities. Sharice, Evan, and I managed to make room on the seventh row. A perfect height to see the entire floor. Out of the corner of my eye I see a late-comer enter the gymnasium. To my surprise and secret thrill, it's Izzie. She mills around rather slowly, looking into the bleachers, probably searching for Kilgrave.

     Every since the introduction in the library, Kilgrave and Izzie have started sitting with Evan and I during our study hall periods.

     The worst part of it all is that I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed as the weeks stretch on and Izzie and I remain nothing more than friendly-but-distant acquaintances.

     No matter how many times I tell myself that whatever I thought we had going on at Penelope's party was all in my head, and that I barely even know the girl, and that she's horribly pretentious, anyway (who reads Beauvoir for fun?), I can't ignore the fact that when she speaks up in Harrison's class or slides into the seat next to me in study hall, I feel ... well, stupidly happy.

     The problem is that the fifty percent of my brain that thinks it might be a good idea to make a harmless first move—you know, something "casual" and "cool" like asking she wants to hang out after school sometime, or striking up a conversation during study hall that doesn't revolve around Kilgrave's  various drug recommendations—is combated by the other fifty percent of my brain that is terrified of rejection.

     I replay scenarios in my head and physically cringe from the mortification so many times that Evan asks me if my anxiety is starting to manifest into a physical tic.

     I feel someone hit my shoulder and turn around to glare at Sharice. "Umm, ow."

"Wave her over to sit with us, ya doofus."

     I shake my head. "Absolutely not."

     "If you don't, I will. And I'm sure you can imagine how embarrassing I can make this for you."

     I stare at Sharice and she stares back daring me to test her. And that's how I find myself sheepishly waving my hand in the air trying to get Izzie's attention.

     She catches it easily and smiles when she realizes it's me. At least she's not disappointed I'm not Kilgrave. The crown shifts a little as she proceeds to climb to bleachers to where we are.

     "Hi," she says when she's finally standing beside me.

     "Hi." I internally groan. Is that the best you can do Casey, huh? Hi?