chapter 4 - leave a light on.

heal - tom odell

skylar.

to say that i haven't talked to thomas much in the past 24 hours would be an understatement. quite frankly, we haven't exchanged one word since yesterday's events unfolded. he's been attempting to talk to me but i haven't given in. he lied to me and said he'd never do anything that i was uncomfortable with. yet he held me down and let that doctor poke me with a needle. he betrayed me and he understood that i was angry at him for it.

i only come out of my room once every few hours, usually in the morning and at night to eat and take my antibiotics. i enjoyed being alone; it was a nice break from constantly being pestered by my parents or at school. especially since i was ill, all i've been doing is laying on my bed either sleeping or watching movies. thomas hasn't really attempted to bother me either. he's been very busy at work recently. he leaves for the hospital early in the morning, comes home in the evening, and works even more at his makeshift office here.

once i was better i would have to return to school which i dreaded intensely. getting up early just to be picked on by girls who peaked in upper school was not my cup of tea or anyone's for that matter. hiding my feelings from thomas would be much more difficult than my parents. all i had to say was that my day was good and they wouldn't ask any further questions. they were so easy to deceive, he is not.

knowing that thomas was away at work, i forced myself to muster up enough energy to roll off the bed and walk downstairs. i could only be in this room for so long before needing a change of scenery for a bit. i poured myself a bowl of cereal before sitting on one of the stools at the countertop, blankly staring around as i ate. his flat didn't look like it belonged to a single twenty-four year old man. you'd expect the walls to be bare and the place to be poorly decorated but it was quite the opposite.

after a full day of doing absolutely nothing passed by, i heard the front lock jingle. he must be home. i glanced over at the clock hanging above the bathroom door. he was home early. please just leave me alone i begged in my mind as his footsteps grew closer up the stairs. he knocked and i didn't respond, hoping it would be enough to drive him away. but he opened the door and walked right in as i watched him walk to the edge of the bed and take a seat.

"we need to talk." he breathed out.

i glared at him, "no we don't."

"darling, please stop closing yourself off and talk to me. you know all i've ever wanted to do is help you." he begged desperately.

"then maybe it's time to stop." i answered bluntly.

"no!" he responded angrily. "you want me to give up on you and i refuse to, sky. i refuse to let go of you, what do you have to say to that?"

my lips remained in a thin line. with each sentence, my voice grew louder and more demanding. "you lied to me. you told me i'd be okay. you let him hurt me."

"i didn't let him hurt you! ashton needed a blood test in order to treat you and it would've been wrong of me to deny him permission. it was all to improve your wellbeing." he explained.

"i don't want to talk about it anymore! i don't want to see you!" i screamed, my voice cracking on the 'you' due to my sickness.

"skylar..." he pleaded with a tone of utter desperation that left a blow on my heart.

"tommy, please get out. i don't want to see you right now." i finished on the verge of tears.

he sighed but obeyed my requests. he lingered around the door for a second before turning around to face me, "i just wanted to say i'm sorry princess."