3

When Alex arrived in New York he was... pleasantly surprised.
It was like his home town in the North Pole- only with much bigger buildings and grumpy bastards instead of operatives. He had just managed to make his way down from the top of the Chrysler Building where he'd been dropped off, now shuffling through the bustling streets with his face buried in his phone- he fit right in!

However his face was hidden behind a phone screen for a reason, he had no clue where he was going and was trusting his life in the little red ball that was guiding him to what was supposedly Eliza's location. Not looking where he was going, at one point Alex rammed straight into a man in a fluffy red suit, startling both of them. Alex's immediate response was-
"Sorry dad-" to which the jolly man threw his head back in laughter, his thick white faux beard slipping down his chin slightly. "I- I mean, I'm sorry for- okay yeah, whatever," his cheeks flushed pink and he continued on his way. Stupid imposter.

He walked for about half an hour before his phone screen erupted with tiny fireworks. He had supposedly reached his destination- but where the fuck was it?
Alex looked around with his nose scrunched up and arms crossed, seeing nothing but tall buildings and christmas lights dangling from every inch of the city street. This city was massive, he had absolutely no hope of finding-
"Excuse me- are you the model for tonight?"

Alex turned on his heel, forcing a small smile towards the young woman who had just addressed him.
"Uhm, I'm looking for the still-life painting class on Templeton Street... ?"
She beamed and nodded, waving her hand to usher him along enthusiastically.
"You're a bit late, the artists were considering just painting the toga alone," she laughed, rolling her eyes.

Alex didn't really process what was happening, following the lady obediently as she guided him down the side of a building and through a rusty side door that had been painted with a complex showcase of swirls and stars. Above it was a decorative sign reading 'Templeton Visual Art Studios'. The doors led into a small foyer, waiting chairs all empty against the wall opposite the door and a large desk positioned to the left. The walls were covered in canvases all displaying unique artworks, making the room alive with colour.
"Right this way," she grinned, leading him behind the desk. "You can get changed here, leave your things under the desk, the toga is in the changing room.

"Get... changed?" He murmured quizzically, her face falling a little.
"Are you not the model for today's class?" She squinted worriedly. If Alex didn't agree to this, maybe he wouldn't be let inside, what if this was something you had to sign up for? He'll be wearing a toga anyway, it's fine.
"No- no I am! So you want me to wear the toga?" He nodded slowly, raising his hands defensively.
"Yeah," she sighed in relief, nodding as well. "Then just come right through when you're ready."

The woman disappeared and Alex was left standing in the foyer questioning his dignity. This was James fault, if he hadn't kicked the bucket- no he couldn't blame James for dying. Then it was his Dad's fault, he should've taken up... no, his Dad was getting too old, it wouldn't be fair.
"Fuck just give me someone to blame." Alex growled under his breath, rolling his eyes and storming off behind the desk.

He changed quickly and tugged on the toga, fairly satisfied with the amount of fabric on it. There wasn't a lot at all at the top as it only hooked over one shoulder, but the skirting was heavy with cream layers that all bunched together beautifully. He scooped up the bottom and made his way through to the other door from the foyer, leading him into a fairly larger white studio space.

As soon as he pushed open the door a number of heads turned to watch him enter, their curious eyes already analysing every aspect of him. Alex felt vulnerable, and exposed. His cheeks flushed a little and he kept his head down.
"Ah, our model for tonight, thank you for joining us so promptly," the same woman beamed, quickly making her way over to Alex and helping him up to the pedestal at the front of the class. "Sorry, I didn't quite catch your name?" She whispered quickly.
"Alexander..." he hesitated, eyes darting around the room until he saw a painting up the back of a leg of ham, "ham..." his eyes continued to wander, stopping on a set of scales "ton."