Chapter Seven

Tristan and I were breakfasting in my room when there was a knock and father entered. We both stood to receive him and Tristan loitered awkwardly for a moment when I sat back down.

"I'll take my leave, Gavrila, your majesty." He bowed to father, who shook his head slowly.

"Stay, Tristan, I could use your opinion too." Tristan sank back into his seat. "Why, Tristan, do you think that my son is risking losing a vital match with a useful girl, choosing instead to give his first dance, a precious thing, to a girl whose family we have never once hosted at the palace?"

Tristan hid his smirk behind his napkin. "I'm sure it means little, sir, it was after all only one dance."

Father nodded, assessing Trist's answer. "And is he right, son?"

"Nope." I said shortly, tossing my napkin back down onto the table. "Simply because she was the girl to take my fancy, and I have no doubt she may be an advantageous match, regardless of her upbringing."

Father poured himself some tea. "And how do you consider this?"

I stood, clasping my hands behind my back. "Well father. As you may or may not have noticed, I am the crown Prince of Ilragorn, any girl would be throwing herself at me for a dance. However Lady Bence did not." Even Tristan looked like he didn't believe me.

"And how does this fact support your strategy?" Father asked amusedly.

"It is like this, Ilragorn is already well equipped in the war, we have more than enough money and provided we pacify the Jeffersons, we need naught but your mind and mine. It is without at doubt that if I were to suffer through my days with a woman who married my for my crown, and not for love, I would surely go insane."

"And Lady Bence is madly in love with you you'll have me believe?"

I stopped, shaking my head. "Of course not father, on the contrary I think she is currently decidedly opposed to me, merely due to my status, thus I intend to woo her until she falls for me, the seeds are already sown and she has potential."

Father raised his eyebrow. "Whilst your theory is amicable, I would question it. A crown Prince of sound mind may do little to prevent further losses in the war if he has no navy."
I glanced across at Tristan, who was enjoying the sparring match. "It is like being able to win in chess with no knight." I stung a little that he brought chess up.

"If I may speak candidly, father, I might point out that the Jeffords must remember their place. We can hardly pacify an uprising by giving them the crown jewels can we?"

Father's eyes slanted, he was considering it. "I expect you to give your ticket to the Ballet to Serena. Good morning Gavrila, Tristan."

I breathed out through my teeth and kicked my feet out on the low table, putting my hands behind my head.

"That was quite impressive." Tristan raised his teacup to me. "Do you believe it?"

"Believe what?" I asked, grabbing a small block of cheese from the tray.

"That putting the Jeffords in their place is the best idea? What if they rise up?"

I smirked. "They won't, and I won't marry her."

"So you're persuing Lady... Bence was it? She's rather small isn't she."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes. How's that one your parents wanted? Reichen?"

"Yes Holly." Tristan said bitterly. "Your brother was right, she's insufferable."

I took my feet back down from the table. "You certainly seemed very taken with her last night."

Tristan chuckled and put away the rest of his tea. "No, that's Eloise Farthing. She's rather lovely."

"Well aesthetically speaking yes." I agreed, thinking back to the brownish blonde hair and sea blue eyes I had encountered at some point last night. "Sod your parents then, court her."

Tristan shrugged slowly, they irritating frown on his face. "It's only been one night. You really do jump to conclusions don't you. Come on, shan't we go for a ride?"

I nodded and let Tristan leave before going into my dressing room to change.

"Your mother has requested your presence at luncheon with the Debutantes today, sir." Barley informed me and I grated my teeth together.

"Can you tell her that I'm busy?"

"No sir." I could hear Barley's grin even though I faced the other way. He helped me on with my boots and I looked down at him, with his irritating greying hair.

"You really don't do me any favors do you?"

"I will when it is you who employs me, sir."

I scowled at him and he at me and then I smiled at the familiar exchange. Stretching my back out, I made my way across to the door, muttering a brief goodbye to my valet. Ib got up from his bed to walk alongside me. I hesitated a moment, before going back to my desk and pulling out the sheaf of green papers I had signed. Father disapproved of it when I delivered them myself but he needn't know. I carefully placed the papers into a bag and pulled it over my shoulder.

I met Tristan down at the stables and was aware of the eyes trained on me. Charlie had already brought my gorgeous horse, Saffron, out from her stable and I went over to her, stroking her mane. Ib rubbed himself up against her legs and she chuffed happily.

"Out to the cliffs?" Tristan asked from atop Gertie, his horse. I shook my head and pulled the bag out from under my cloak.

"Definis if that's alright." He smiled sympathetically and I shrugged. "If I don't do it they don't have justice. Let's be off."

We had been riding through the woods for a while, avoiding the towns, before either of us spoke again. "Mother's making me spend lunch with her and the Debutantes. You'll come and suffer with me won't you?"

He snorted and I scowled. "Suffer? With you? His royal flirt? Why go if you don't want to?"

"Barley told her I would, I don't want to get him into trouble."

"Course you don't." Tristan clicked his tongue and stroked Gertie's mane. "I'll come if I really have to, but if Angel tries to talk to me then you steer her away." He said sternly and I nodded solemnly, not one to jest about his relationship with Lady Kent.