⤷ backstory

Mal was born to two loving parents, Elijah and Ellen Owens

Mal was born to two loving parents, Elijah and Ellen Owens. As a child, she was more prone to illness, and would more often than not be sick. Her immune system was working against her, and by the time she was seven, her parents were told that soon her organs would begin shutting down due to the strain on her body. When someone approached Elijah and Ellen with an offer to save Mal's life with a mysterious serum, the desperate parents agreed. They didn't know who the man was, or who he worked for, all they knew what that their daughter was dying and they were willing to do anything to save her.

The man worked for an organization called HYDRA. By the time the Owens' realized their true intentions, it was too late. Their mystery serum had already been injected into Mal, and paired with exposure to low levels of gamma radiation for a short amount of time, she began to change. She was no longer sick and dying, and she would never be sick again. The warped version of the super-soldier serum given to her made sure she would never get sick again, and her body was now more durable. She was stronger, faster, healed quicker. And she now had strange messages abilities.

After years of being trained by HYDRA, Mal and her parents escaped with the help of The Winter Soldier - Bucky Barnes. She was nine, and still had yet to gain full control over her abilities. When HYDRA soldiers closed in, Mal panicked, and the resulting expulsion of energy left the soldiers and her parents dead. With no family left and nowhere to go, Mal ended up running right into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s arms.

While others saw a dangerous weapon, Fury saw a scared child. Taking her under his wing, he helped her with anything she needed in order to gain full control of her abilities, and when she was deemed safe enough to live a semi-normal life, two agents were assigned to act as her foster parents. Alexis and Rosa Alvarez loved Mal like she was their own, and cared for her until she was sixteen.

2012 the world faced a threat like never before. With a looming alien invasion and a god wreaking havoc, the Avengers Initiative was called into action, bringing together earths mightiest heroes. Among them, was Mal. Becoming an Avenger, thought she was young, changed the course of her life entirely. She lost both of her mothers and a man she looked up to, and was faced with immense grief. In the aftermath, she gained a team, and people she knew she could count on.

2014 ━  Mal turned eighteen and had a job at S.H.I.E.L.D. in DC, living with Natasha Romanoff, and remaining close with Steve Rogers. Through Steve she meets Sam Wilson, a loyal friend with a good head on his shoulders. When a ghost from both Mal and Steve's past appears, the truth about HYDRA begins to unravel. They were thriving all along, inside of S.H.I.E.L.D., waiting for their moment. And when their moment came, they were ready. While successful in stopping HYDRA from killing hundreds of innocent people, S.H.I.E.L.D. was destroyed, and Bucky Barnes was lost again.

2015 ━ the search for Bucky has gone cold, but the hunt for the last of HYDRA's bases was going strong. During a mission to destroy the base, the Avengers recaptured Loki's scepter, but found something chilling while there. Twins Pietro and Wanda Maximoff were products of HYDRA experimentation with the scepter, resulting in a man with super speed and a woman with powers eerily similar to Mal's. Ultron was born from Tony and Bruce's genius, but quickly decided humanity didn't deserve to continue going on as it was. While originally willing to help Ultron, the Maximoff twins quickly switched sides, deciding to help the Avenger's take down Ultron and his army. Vision was born, Pietro sacrificed himself, and Sokovia was reduced to nothing but a crater in the ground. The hero life was beginning to take its toll, and while Mal found herself worthy to life Mjölnir, she was questioning whether she was worthy to still call herself an Avenger.

2016 ━ the Sokovia Accords are made. Siding against them, along with Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, and Wanda Maximoff, twenty-year-old Mal is realizing that maybe some things need to change. When the Accords signing is bombed and blamed on Bucky Barnes, Mal and Steve set out to track their friend down and find out what truly happened. Discovering he's been framed by a man named Zemo, they ask Tony to hear them out, to no avail. When a fight ensues between the divided sides of the Avengers, only Steve, Bucky and Mal make it out of the fight without being captured, but they're not out of the woods. Lead to a HYDRA facility in Siberia, dark secrets are revealed, that leave everyone reeling.

━ note! this series is not finished, therefore the backstory is not finished, due to me now wanting to reveal spoilers and other things ahead. the backstory will be updated as the series progresses.