Chapter 2

Luca

I found our designated room with the help of the murmurs around here. And now I'm sitting on a chair in front... It isn't obvious that I'm really eager to learn, is it?

A few students are already sitting quietly. When I blinked, the moment I open my eyes, all seats are now occupied. The professor enters and slowly closes the door and walks towards his table. "Good morning." He started with a gentle smile. He's wearing a suit and it seems he's 30 years old in age. He is tall and nice looking. "My name is Ethan Smith. You can call me Professor Ethan. I will be your adviser for the rest of your time here in Vampire Academy. And you will be my advisory class, from freshmen till senior. Any violent reactions?" All remained silent. "Very well, then." He sat down on his chair and calmly rested his hands on the table.

"First off, welcome to North Drake, with a population of 5,026,183, US dollar as the money currency, 100% literacy rate, and the life expectation is infinite. We do not age, children. We do not die, unless we plan to. Even if all humans perish, we will still be here." He looked at each of us carefully in the eye. "So, do you all like your new room?"

"Yes. Especially when it's not meant for sleeping." A girl snickered and looked at me while smirking. The students laughed.

But Professor Ethan just smiled. "I understand. Most of you still don't have knowledge about our beings. You are not the firsts. The seniors today also went through that." Hm. Lucky me.

"Twice a week, a cleaner will come to tidy your room and make it as good as new. And Monday to Friday, every evening, a dinner will be served to you. Just dinner since you're at school all day. Expect a knock on your door every 8 o'clock. What else..." He held his chin as if trying to remember something. "Oh, no classes on weekdays."

"Yes!" The students cheered.

"You'll have time to travel and explore all over North Drake and be familiar with all the places." Huh? How would you do that? North Drake is a big country. "If you decide to stay home on weekdays, however, 3 courses of meal will be served to you. And before you got here, you were given a one week allowance. Use that to buy what you like, clothing, et cetera. But you are obliged to find a student job for continuous allowance, because eventually you'll run out of money."

"Aw..." The students gloomily slouched on their chair.

"As the old vampires have said that lived here for centuries: WE ALSO LIVE AND DO THINGS HERE THE HUMAN WAY. Except for some permanent things, of course." He smoothed his tie and proceeded again. "Now, do you have questions?"

The girl beside me with the nerdy glasses shot her hand up. I noticed that she's also the pretty girl from the plane.

"Yes, kid?"

"How old are you, sir?"

He broke in a mischievous laugh. "Ever since this school was built!"