Chapter Two

Mike's POV (Current age: 38)

She was thinking about the drug dealers again. I know it can be hard to forget times as dark as those...but I wish she would really forget so I don't have to see...that face. It breaks me inside when I see so much pain in her face. I know for a fact she isn't over what happened to us twenty years ago. It's even worse since her mother passed away last year. Last year when that had happened it got especially worse for Lori. On top of all the memories of her and I getting abducted by drug dealers and tortured...her mother passes away on top of it all. So she flipped out for a brief moment. I often steer the kids away from the drug dealer incident, so when I see Lori is about to Lose it...I take the kids somewhere else so they don't have to see their mother like that. Even I don't wanna see her like that, because it hurts...and its frustrating. Not frustrating because she's freaking out but frustrating because she's freaking out and there's nothing I can really do besides hold her tight in my arms. She says she needs that when she's that way but a part of me always says that's not enough. Twenty years ago after we escaped the drug dealers for the last time, I thought twenty years from then we wouldn't remember any of that because we would have moved on. I have...because I still have Lori...my best friend. But she isn't over it. Did something else happen that I wasn't there for? I would always think this thought. When the druggies had kidnapped Lori and held her hostage at that abandoned house (which has been torched by now) I always think that something else happened before I got there with that stolen truck that night. I know what I'm thinking...the word lies in the very back of my mind...But I won't say it. There must be a reason why she hasn't gotten over it by now like I have. I mean we both struggled with it at first but...I didn't think twenty years later we would still be talking about it. So we're both left without any real closure to the situation because she acts as if something...else had happened to her before I got there...and I feel like I can't move on any further because she isn't talking to me about it. It's like we're both stuck right now...Since she can't move on...neither can I...Not anymore.

   After Lori cuddling me in my arms on the couch shortly after we got the kids to bed, I picked Lori up in my arms and carried her into our bedroom. I layed her down gently on the bed and covered her up, few minutes later...I was cuddling right next to her under the covers. Holding her tightly like I always do and keeping her safe.