.:Foreword:.

For a better experience, please switch your reading settings from paging to scrolling.
Thank you :)

Music blares throughout the halls of the palace. The sound of masked royalties and commoners laughing and chattering away as the Vesuvian night continues with the festivities of the annual masquerade. Different faces surround the ballroom. Masks of all kinds formed as the faces of different animals with intricate designs and shapes, fitting the character of which it resides. The rush of joy and excitement carries on with the bright lights of fireworks creating wondrous colors of pinks, purples, oranges, reds, and blues throughout the night sky. The sparkling explosions disguising the sounds of the dark ritual below the palace.

A fox masked figure walks swiftly through the empty halls of the Count's wing. His footsteps quiet and brisk like a fox as he walks towards the distant voices in the room ahead. The red ambiance of the candles floods over his white pearlescent hair and overlays the maroon-colored fabric that clothes his golden-brown skin. In one hand, he holds a gold chalice; in the other, a jug of pomegranate juice tucked away under a white sash behind him.

"Ah, the great Magician," A man with a mask in the shape of a ram's skull turns towards the fox. A glass of wine in one hand while the other is crossed over his arm to support the long braid the wraps around his shoulders. "You're late." He whispers harshly. The pale gold of his eyes looking in annoyance as he sips his wine without breaking contact with the man before him.

"My apologies Consul," He says gracefully. A small grin forming beneath the snout of the mask. "It seems that I had gotten a bit carried away with the guest. You know how they are when it comes to magic." He chuckles

The consul rolls his eyes. "Whatever. The Count's waiting for you with the rest of the courtiers."

"Well, I guess I shouldn't keep him waiting any longer." He says as he walks past. "Oh, and Consul," He stops and turns to meet the man's annoyed gaze. "Nadi's awaiting your presence."

(Start "Intrepid" by Kevin MacLeod here)

He then starts to walk into the dimly lit chamber of the Count, rushed footsteps trailing behind him as the Consul walks off to be at the Countess' side. The magician makes quiet steps around the room. He walks up to a portrait of a man with an arm of gold dressed in crimson, basking in all his glory; Count Lucio, the one and only. He runs his hand along with the portrait until it comes across a small button on the side of it. He presses it, and another door opens to a set of stairs descending into a secret dining room where he is now met with the count and his courtiers. Twenty-two chairs aligned against a long table in the order of the Major Arcana, half of which are empty. The ritual is all set up and the count awaits the magician's presence at the head of the table.

"Ah, Asra." The Count speaks, his voice was hoarse and weak. The sclera of his eyes stained blood-red from the plague. "I was wondering when you would show up."

The magician doesn't speak. He simply takes a seat at the other end of the table, setting down the gold chalice from his hand while staring down at the jug in front of him that is perfectly identical to the one he snuck inside, which sat perfectly still beneath his clothes. 

"Now," He starts and brings his hand to his face. "Let's begin. Shall we?" He pulls off the white fox mask, violet eyes looking up as they meet the court of devils around him.

 Shall we?" He pulls off the white fox mask, violet eyes looking up as they meet the court of devils around him

The Arcana
Heavy Heart

Asra's Route

+++

Characters: Asra Alnazar, Consul Valerius, Count Lucio, and The Courtiers
Music: Intrepid by. Kevin MacLeod
Art: 'The Fox's Stare' by. Merakiiio (Me)