My Letter to Frank Anthony Thomas Iero Jr.

Frank,

     I discovered My Chemical Romance when I was going into 8th grade, in late 2014 and I had no idea how much MCR and your solo projects would affect me as a person. In 8th grade and during my freshman year, I dealt with severe bullying. The kid that bullied me told me I was a failed abortion and that I should kill myself. He also told me to go back to Hell where I belong and I sassily replied back "I'm already in Hell, Thanks a lot." He tormented me relentlessly for almost two school years before something was done.

     Over the course of those two years, I became depressed and extremely anxious. I was always worried about what he would say to me and I considered skipping school a few times to avoid him.

     I went down a rabbit hole of depression and anxiety. That's when I started self-harming—Which I deeply regret— and I kept doing it until last year. I'm 14 months clean now and I am much happier than I've ever been.

     I regret every single scar I've left on my body and your music reassured me that it's okay that I have scars and I'm not afraid to let people see them anymore. I'm such a stronger person because of your music and it helped me through some of the darkest times of my life...

     I was born 3 months early and weighed 1 lb 5oz, and I almost didn't make it. I spent the first 7 months of my life in the hospital and had over 20 surgeries. I'm graduating high school next year and I'm a second degree black belt.

     My grandpa passed away from ALS in December. He and I were close when I was little. Out of his 17 grandchildren, I was always his favorite, I was his little miracle granddaughter. I visited him at his house 4 days before he passed and he opened his eyes for the last time when I was there. It was something I'll never forget. That moment will forever be engraved into my memory.

     The song you wrote about your grandfather helped me deal with my initial feelings after he passed and I listened to it again a few weeks ago and it made me start crying my eyes out at one in the morning. It was definitely a much needed emotional release. It makes me feel like I'm not alone and it's almost comforting to know that I'm not alone and that there is a song that conveys my emotions almost exactly. That song has helped me immensely over the past 5-almost 6 months since his death, and I'm grateful for the amount of healing that this song has helped me accomplish over the past 5 months.

     Long story short, you taught me how to stick up for myself and not care about what anyone else thinks. You taught me it's okay to be myself and not change for anybody You taught me that it's okay to have flaws and that I shouldn't be afraid to show my scars. I'm stronger, both mentally and emotionally because of your music and I'm always going to appreciate what it's done for me over the past 4 years...

It means the world to me and you are a major role model and inspiration in my life.

Thank you for everything, Frank.

I really, truly mean it, from the bottom of my heart

Anna