What Army? (SteveXReader)

You were done; your resistance had finally been completely spent. Tears flowing down your hot cheeks, you ran from the lab in Avengers Tower. How could he be so cruel? Why did he always make the worst jokes about you? Why did his entire life rotate around insulting you? Did he truly not have something better to do, like create a cure for cancer, solve world hunger, or create a better clean energy source than his current model? None of it mattered though; you couldn't take it. You had to leave before you lost it completely. However, you suddenly collided with someone, since you were too upset to see clearly. When you looked up, a pair of concerned sapphires stared back at you.

"(Y/N)! What's wrong?!" Steve asked urgently, pulling you closer.

Too upset to listen, you shoved him away and ran into your room. Grabbing your phone, you blasted "The Last Night" by Skillet through the cheap earbuds your dad bought you for Christmas. Pulling a suitcase from beneath your bed, you began to haphazardly hurl your possessions into its mouth. However, strong arms suddenly yanked you back and forced you against the wall. The earbuds were roughly removed from their posts, a loud ringing echoing in their absence.

"(Y/N)! What's going on?" Steve asked, panic rising in his voice. He eyed the suitcase like it was a snake posed to strike, "You're not leaving are you?"

Normally, you wouldn't talk to anyone about your problems, and if you tried, things didn't go well. Clint would ignore you, and Thor would ask if you were "on thine monthly." Nat always said to toughen up; Bruce gave you cards from various meditation classes. However, you could sense that Steve was going to be different; he wouldn't make things worse. With a loud wail, you buried your head into Steve's chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Shh! (Y/N), calm down! Everything's okay!" Steve said hurriedly, rubbing your back soothingly.

For awhile, all you did was cry, your tears forming a large, wet blob on Steve shirt. However, you slowly began to calm down. You muscles relaxes as your breathing steadied. Soon, the entire function of your body matched the pace of Steve's steady palm gliding up and down your back.

"Okay, now, tell me what's wrong," Steve said firmly, taking your chin and making you look up at him.

You gazed intently into his blue orbs; the same blue orbs that had won your heart. The same orbs that had watched you since Steve's awakening, and the same orbs you had gazed into on your first date together.

"Tony....I'm just sick of how he has been treating me," you whimpered, wiping your eyes, "I know I should just suck it up, and I have. However, I'm human; I can only endure so much before I break." You sniffled, "I sound really stupid right now, don't I?"

"Of course not!" Steve exclaimed, pulling you closer. He brought his lips close to your ear, "No matter what Tony says, you will always have a place here, (Y/N); a place on the team and a place in my heart."

You felt your chest swell with pride. Steve always knew just what to say. He wasn't special because of some shield, spangled suit, and super serum. He was amazing because he actually acted human. A blush crept onto your cheeks as Steve began to kiss you down your neck, his hands planted firmly on your hips.

"Please stay, (Y/N). Please don't leave me," Steve whimpered so softly you nearly missed what he said. Heart breaking, you snuggled closer.

"I won't," you promised, "but I can't continue to have Tony beat me down day after day."

"I'll take care of that," Steve replied as her nuzzled his face deep into your (h/c) tresses.

"You mean WE'LL take are of that," a voice corrected him.

You both turned to find Natasha Romanoff, Bruce Banner, Thor, and Clint Barton watching you from the doorway. You blushed an even darker shade of pink while Steve's cheeks went from flesh tone to cherry red.

Natasha was the first to approach. She stared at you with that cold, unreadable, expression of hers. However, in one swift movement, she wrapped you and Steve in a tight hug, starling you both. Thor was quick to join in, a few of you bones screaming in protest as he crushed you in his giant arms. Bruce and Clint reluctantly entered the circle after. Soon, all you could feel was the heat of the warm bodies around you, which was surprisingly cozy. Steve's lips were on your neck once more.

"(Y/N), people are going to come along and bring you down. They will hurt you and beat you until you can't stand. You don't have to worry though. You don't need an army to protect you; you have us."

You looked at each smiling face in the circle, the peace and warmth inside you growing. One thing was for certain. Tony was DEFINITELY in trouble.