chapter one.

kim yerim looked at the view as the old, low-rise buildings stood in the shadows of the tall skyscrapers that were located just a stone's throw away from the shabby neighbourhood.

the fine line that divided downtown from the city centre reminded her of many things. the fine line between antidote and poison, between love and hate, between life and death.

she let her thoughts drift away, before a light tap on her shoulder brought her back to the present.

" hey. you alright? "

yerim turned her head, and found her good friend mark right behind her. johnny was loitering behind.

" could be better. it's just that i've never been on such a mission before, one where we're playing for such high stakes. i'm worried i'll screw things up. "

johnny came forward and gave her a pat on her back.

" well, there's a reason why they chose you, yerim. i'm sure everything will go well! you've had the best performance since day one, and besides - you've got us to help you out. "

yerim sighed, an uneasy expression lingering on her features.

" thanks a lot, guys. i mean it. i think i just wanna stay here for a little while more, i'll meet you guys back at the hotel later. "

" okay then, yerim-ah. contact us if you need anything. "

the thoughts in yerim's mind were getting too much. even as johnny and mark turned to leave, she couldn't help but pace around, getting more and more restless as the seconds went by. fiddling with her fingers and tapping her feet, she finally decided to do something about it - go on a run.

despite her deep-rooted hatred for running (which arose from the harsh trainings she received back then at the Laboratory), she knew that it was cathartic for her to distract herself, and simply run.

the thing that yerim enjoyed about running was in fact, the sprinting. yes, it was tiring. but the sensation of her lungs practically burning, desperate for oxygen, was satisfying, and made her feel like she was leaving her problems behind. literally.

so that was what she set out to do. kim yerim started off by taking a few small steps, at a slow pace, but that gradually increased to a jog, then to a sprint.

she had to familiarise herself with the area anyway. what better way to do it than to personally visit every inch of it and commit it to memory?

-

a/n

hello everyone, i'm here with a new fic!

this time, it's gonna be kinda scifi, futuristic, mafia, undercover agents all merged into one i suppose.

i'm really excited for this one, i feel like it's going to be a REALLY LONG fic. and i'm getting a lot of help and feedback from ju and my friend as i go along!

please leave a comment and let me know if you like it!!! :-)

lots of love,
jane ❤️