Chapter 1

Never. Never in a million years would Gabriel ever imagined that he would be a father. His life, past his teenage years had been nothing but working in the military. Sure he been good with kids, it was somewhat of a must when all his extended family would visit. Most with younger children who were always kept under someone's care.

But instead of pursuing a family life like his mother truly wanted for him, he went straight into the military once he had graduated from high school. A little more than ten years of serving had him finally settling back into a normalish life.

Friends he had made through the military, the very few that he kept in contact with over the last two years of his settled life had talked him into getting another member of his household. The first thing Gabriel did was right out refuse the idea of adopting anything; an actual child or pet. However, a trip back to his parent's home along with a very long conversation with his mother had him beginning to consider the idea of a child. That and ever since he had mentioned it to his mother, she wouldn't stop pestering him for grandchildren.

It took him three weeks to finally decide he was getting a child. From there nearly half a year of different paper work and getting to know the child before he was finally able to take the child home.

That's how he found himself driving home with a dozing two year old in the his car seat in the back seats of Gabriel's car. His usual stern expression hadn't been present that whole day, instead he had a small smile present. He would constantly be checking his rearview mirror, as if ensuring the sleeping child was still there. That's how the whole drive there went, a peaceful silence throughout.

As Gabriel parked his car in the driveway of his home, he noticed the three figures standing at his door. One towering over the other two as they turned towards him. He gave a small wave to the trio as he got out of the driver seat. Then moving to the right back door, grabbing the small duffle bag that contained the little things his son, yes his son, had at the orphanage. Gabriel slung it over his shoulder before undoing the safety buckles on the car seat and gently lifted the sleeping form. He shut the door of the car with his foot, making sure it was locked first before he walked over to the porch of his house. "Ana, Reinhardt, Fareeha. Here to see him I see?"

"Of course, you think we would miss a moment like this?" Ana had a warm smile, her right hand squeezing her daughter's shoulder lightly. "What's his name?"

"Jesse, Jesse McCree." Gabriel carefully set the duffle bag down before sticking his free hand into his pant pocket to fish for his house keys. When he did he held them out to Ana, "Could you open it up for me." Picking up the forgotten bag as Ana had taken his keys and opened the house's front door. From there, all of them entered the house.

For the next hour had them talking quietly, mostly about Jesse who miraculously stayed asleep the entire time. The trio had to excuse themselves a bit early since it was a weekday, which meant school for Fareeha.

Gabriel had begun to tidy things around the house, specifically in the room he had designated as Jesse's. Walking to and from different rooms. Or at least until he stepped out of his bedroom, going to fetch a few things from the living room. Gabriel was met with dark brown eyes peering over the back of the couch, he gave a small smile as he walked over and ran his large fingers through the equally dark brown hair. "You had a good nap?" Giving a soft hum as he watched Jesse give a tiny nod. He marveled at how his darker skin contrasted against Jesse's tan skin. "Lets go to your room hmm? I heard that a little someone really likes cowboys. So someone left a special something in your room." Gabe allowed Jesse to wrap his small hands around two of his large fingers while he helped the child off the couch then to Jesse's room.