Chapter 10: The One With 2017 The World Championships In Plymouth, USA

There was a lot of talk back home in Finland about this year's Naisleijonat. A big part of the team were rookies since many of last year's players had retired for personal reasons or last year's injuries. There were also three players who were pregnant, so there was still a chance that they would return sometime. People put a lot of pressure on Alicia and Noora and they were more than once called "Finland's only hopes for a place in the quarterfinals". Alicia felt most responsible because under her leadership they had fallen back to third place last year. No matter how many times Noora kept reminding her that Alicia couldn't control the injuries that others suffered and that it was because of her that they had won two gold medals, she still blamed herself for last year.

The tournament started and Naisleijonat were doing pretty well. The other teams underestimated them in the beginning, and that gave the rookies time to get over their nerves and the feeling of not being good enough. Alicia was constantly shouting encouraging words on the bench and holding inspirational speeches in the locker room before every game.

They got themselves to the quarterfinals where they were playing against Russia. Alicia seemed to be the official target during the game and she took more hits than anyone else. She got up after every single hit with her head set on winning the game. With about 13 minutes left in the game, they were down two goals. Alicia was shoved head first into the glass and when there was no penalty called, Alicia shouted some well-chosen words in Russian. The commentators didn't hear what she said but the reaction from the Russian player made them laugh. The Russian player had been on Alicia's team in St. Petersburg and knew Alicia as the quiet type, so she had not expected Alicia to yell at her.

A few minutes later Russia got a penalty for delaying the game and just as it was about to expire, Alicia set Michelle up with a perfect pass. Goal! The minutes ticked away and turned into seconds. They were going to lose. Noora had been on the bench for about three minutes for an extra attacker. A Russian player was about to score an empty-netter, when Jenni managed to poke the puck away. It landed on Alicia's stick and the gave her final shot all she had, she knew they were too late anyway.

The horn sounded, and the Russians celebrated. Alicia had in fact surprised the goaltender, because she was already on her way out of the net, but it didn't matter. For the first time in eighteen years, Finland would not even have a chance to fight for the bronze. Alicia wanted to lay down on the ice and scream. She had failed her team. She had failed her country. She skated towards the bench. She needed water.

"The play is under review!"

Alicia was just about to take a sip but stopped. She looked at head coach Mustonen to see if he had heard the same announcement, and by the look on his face he had. The commentators had no idea what was going on and were eager to find out the reason for the review. They played a video of the final seconds on the jumbotron and the puck clearly crosses the line, it's only a question about time. The entire team is looking at Alicia and their expressions all say the same thing:

"Do you believe you scored?"

Alicia shakes her head. There is no way the puck crossed the line before the horn sounded. She could swear she heard it while the puck was still miles away. The video is still being shown, but this time with the time-stamp.

- No way...

Alicia whispered and then held her breath as the referee stepped back onto the ice.

- After video review, it was determined that the puck completely crossed the goal-line with 0.1 seconds left on the clock. We have a good goal!

The Russians, who had stopped celebrating right after the first announcement, started to protest. But there was no use. The evidence was clear. Finland had scored.