Chapter Four

After getting told off lightly by Catelyn, she had ordered them both to go to their chambers and get ready for the king's arrival. They both scurried along the winding corridors of the castle together before splitting off their separate ways.

"Where have you been, child?" Dana exclaimed, pulling Seren straight into the dressing room as soon as she walked through the door. "I'm not surprised I have grey hair now, considering the amount of time I spend stressing over you."
She giggled as Dana laced up her dress at the back, before putting Seren down in the chair and braiding her hair. The dress was green and was embroidered with gold thread. These were the Greyjoy house colours, so they weren't just chosen for any old reason. Grey furs were then placed over her shoulders to act like a shawl.

"How long are they here for?" Seren gulped at the thought of the arrival now.
"A few weeks, tops little one. It'll fly by, I promise." Dana smiled, but it didn't make Seren feel any better about the impending arrival.

Everything her father had taught her was against diplomacy and she had never been taught about having good relations with other kingdoms. After the iron islands rebelled, everything went out of the window and the iron born didn't trust any of the other houses. It stayed that way until Lord Stark had discussed the betrothal with her father. Because of this, she didn't really trust any houses other than her own and the Starks. But she didn't need to trust them; she just needed to fake it.

Chaos ensued as it was announced the royal family were making their way towards the gates. Seren ran down to the courtyard where the Starks were conversing. Catelyn arranged the Starks in age order, apart from Rickon who was stood next to her, so Seren was stood in between Bran on the end as it was proper for her to be next to Bran. She gave him a cheeky grin and he smiled back at her, blushing slightly.

A horn sounded suddenly and loads of men on horse back began to stream into the courtyard. One was a young, blonde man who kept smiling at Sansa and making her blush. Seren didn't know who he was but assumed he was someone import from the way he was dressed. One carriage came through the gate and then King Robert rode into the courtyard. He dismounted his horse and all the castle people bowed. The king was a plump man, who had the classic black hair and beard of a Baratheon. He walked up to Lord Stark and gestured for everyone to stand back up, so they did.
"Your Grace." Ned said, bowing his head towards the king.
"You've got fat." The king said, as he eyed Ned. The whole courtyard stayed completely silent until the two began laughing and gave each other a hug.

"Kat!" Robert said, as he moved along to her and gave her a hug. He gave Rickon on a quick pat on the head before moving along the row to Robb.
"Where's the imp?" Arya whispered to Sansa and Seren and Bran giggled slightly.
"Shut up." Sansa responded sternly.
"You must be Robb." He grinned, and Robb nodded. "You're a pretty one." He continued as he moved on to Sansa and she smiled kindly.
"And what's your name?" The king asked.
"Arya." She grinned and Robert nodded.

"Show us your muscles." He said and Bran pulled back his cloak to show him. "Yes, you'll be a soldier." Bran grinned smugly.
The king then turned to Seren with a look of confusion.
"And who's this?"
"I'm Seren Greyjoy." She responded proudly. The king gave Ned a confused look and he began to explain.
"She's betrothed to Bran." And The king nodded.
"Well congratulations." He said, before walking back to Lord Stark.

The carriage door then opened and the queen stepped out of it. Her gingery golden hair was styled beautifully and she wore a dress made of expensive fabrics. She smiled but Seren noted that it did not reach her eyes. Another man near her dismounted his horse and pulled off his helmet. He had blonde hair and you could tell immediately that he was the queen's brother.
"That's Jaime Lannister, Cersei's twin brother." Arya stated, probably louder than she meant to.
"Will you shut up?" Sansa responded, scolding her.

The queen walked towards them, and stopped in front of Ned. She held her hand out and he kissed it.
"My queen," He said and she gave him a nod.
"My queen." Catelyn also said, bowing her head.

"Take me to your crypt, I want to pay my respects." The king said to Ned but Cersei butted in.
"We've been riding for a month, my love, surely the dead can wait." She tried to persuade him but he ignored her.
"Ned." Robert said before making his way into the castle. Ned then followed him.

"Where's the imp?" Arya asked again, rather loudly, and the queen looked toward her. She then turned around and walked towards Jaime.
"Where is our brother? Go and find the little beast." Cersei commander Jaime.

Catelyn then told Seren's hand maiden to take her up to her room to stay until the feast that night. Seren waved to the Starks before following Dana up the stairs.

Seren sat in her chambers with Dana just sewing when they heard a knock on the door. Dana walked over to open it, and not surprisingly Bran walked right in.
"Seren, the great hall is chaotic." Bran explained as he sat next to her on her bed.
"Do you think everyone will get on?" Seren asked, peering curiously at Bran.
"Well Robb certainly doesn't like Joffrey, as I've been hearing for the past hour." Bran rolled his eyes and she giggled. "That's why escaped and came to your room. You're much more fun."

Seren grinned at the compliment but they made eye contact for longer than was normal and she looked away shyly. Dana coughed and they both looked up at her smirking face.
"I'm afraid Seren needs to finish getting ready for the feast, Bran." She explained. Bran stayed for a bit longer so Seren had to rush to get ready after he had left, and then, it was time for the feast.