Kacey

When night fell, the children had long been indoors. Most had showered and headed to the mess hall, others just went to sleep immediately. Yet, the boy had remained wide awake, eyes of blue watching the starry skies. Every now and then though, a shooting star would gleam by.

Most would not be fascinating by a sight, but this always had him coming back to the window. An abyss of violet-blue with glimmering lights. An adult would usually have to pull him away from the windows. This time would end up being an exception, as the night was more alive during the hour.

There was an unfortunate awakening though, a younger child had cut her knee badly hours before. That peace moments prior was lost to the groaning of pain. Which ultimately took the boy from his thoughts. At the time, he'd known who it was that got hurt, turning his head a few degrees just to see their face.

Pain was the only expression to read, all while she was hugging her knee. The boy would frown, making a turn with the rest of his body to face them. A mission made itself present within his mind; help the girl out. Upon reaching the bedside, his hand would slowly raise, almost involuntarily. The palm had a yellow glow that would radiate from it. If there was one thing he was capable of, it was healing. Although it was not very good, it still got the job done.

The little girl would watch as he put the palm to her knee. A kind warmth traveled throughout the leg itself, recreating any lost cells and patches of skin. Taken aback by this newfound power, the girl's eyes would light up with a curiosity like none before. Other children within the room had stopped what they were doing to witness as the events unfolded. This kept them in a state of awe, wishing to know how this was happening.

Though, to the older children, this came as no surprise. They remembered that this boy had a faster healing rate whenever he scraped his elbows, knees, and received cuts from thorns. It was an strange case, as others who had wings just like him had no idea whether they were capable of such an ability or not. So, most remained on the sidelines while this happened.

After the instance was over, the boy stood to his normal height. It was only then that he realized all eyes were on him. Anxiety from deep within started to make itself present, since nobody else has ever seen that happen before. Despite having adults who could heal the children as well, he did not expect to see how confused some of them would be. One adult did enter the room though, only to immediately pull him out for an intermission.

Upon looking closer at the adult's face, they had a mixture of disappointment and unease on their face. It was almost as if the younger angel had committed a crime, and would be taken to prison. A look of guilt would appear on his face, making him feel as if something had truly been done wrong. In his head though, the talk sounded far scarier than anticipated. The adult had left him with another; the person who posed as a nurse for the orphanage.

The boy would admire the adult's wings though. Truly one with the purest of shades; white. A light over their head would reflect off of each and every feather, keeping him distracted. His were a fairly light gray, nothing as beautiful as those of the nurse's. What broke the silence though, was her sharp inhale.

"So, it would seem that you have somehow picked up the ability to regenerate cells." She spoke plainly, looking fairly disinterested in this conversation.

"Well, I feel as if most of us should know how to do that. In case an adult is not present during the time of someone being hurt." He responded sheepishly, a frown crossing his face.

"Yes, but as you can see, no other child has tried to utilize such a thing. I may just have to go over your file and compare it with another angel's. Perhaps there is some sort of anomaly that I just never caught. Which could be why this is so surprising." The nurse rambled to herself, looking displeased with this situation. 

"Until then though, I want you to just go back to your room. Do not use this power, do you understand?" She would look at closely at him. Watching every movement, every little twitch, and expression.

"I- Yes ma'am." He spoke timidly before rising to his feet. After the boy left, it would now be a room of silence. Which only left the woman to wonder more about this unusual case. By opening a drawer, she looked through files sorted by last name. Up until she found the letter 'E' for his last name.

When pulling out his file, she thought back to the time when he was first brought into the orphanage. Roughly a little over eight, and had just lost his parents. What a strange set of events indeed. Even his introduction was nothing short of expected, no real first name, just a last name and that would be it. Yet, children and even the other adults started calling him by a name given to himself, by himself. That name would eventually become official; Kacey.