Chapter 23

A/N: This chapter's going into all of the Civil War stuff. My story will not be exactly the same as the movie but it will follow the general story. I just had to change a few things to make the dynamic between all of the characters work. Anyway, enjoy the story :)

Bucky had been out for around ten minutes when I heard foot steps coming from outside the apartment door. It seemed a little soon for him to be back, he usually took about half an hour, if not more, but I figured maybe he just didn't find anything he fancied at the market.

The door handle twisted and I looked up from where I was, wrapped up on the sofa in my warmest grey cardigan, book in hand, expecting to see Bucky walk in. Instead, I saw someone completely different. Someone who I was hoping I wouldn't see for a very long time.

"Laura," he cautioned, "I'm not here to take you in. I came to help Bucky; and you."

"Sure you did, Steve." I said sarcastically, slowly getting to my feet "That's why you're here in your whole get-up; shield and all." I didn't want to have to fight him, at one time he was one of my closest friends, but if it meant that Bucky remained free, I'd do anything.

"I'm serious. You're both in real danger." I still felt very defensive, but I could see in his eyes that something wasn't right.

"What happened?" I asked quizzically as he made his way steadily towards me.

"In the past two years? A hell of a lot. Me and Tony aren't exactly on the best of terms right now. I've done some things that I'm not proud of, but I'll explain that all later if you'll let me. Right now, there's a SWAT team on their way here to take Bucky in, and they're not planning on going easy on him."

"What the hell do they think he did?"

"They think he killed the king of Wakanda." Steve said, his face stoic and completely serious.

"That's impossible. He's been here with me for the last two years."

"And that's exactly why they think you're involved. Stark connected the dots. He knew you two left together, he just didn't know where." I was struggling to absorb all this new information, but I knew I had to act fast.

I grabbed my burner phone; Bucky and I each had one in case of emergencies, I figured this was a good time to use it. Before I could hit dial, the door bust open, causing the Captain and I to ready ourselves for a fight.

"Laura! We got a problem. We need to go!" I relaxed my stance when I heard the panicked yelling, it was Bucky.

"Yeah, I know we've got a problem Buck." I replied. As soon as he saw Steve, he froze. "You remember him, right?" I asked

"That's Steve. He was my best friend." There was a trace of resentment in his voice. I could understand why, he did basically keep him in a prison, but now wasn't this time to be airing grievances.

"Buck, I need you to work with us here. You're in a lot of danger." Steve said calmly

"I'll work with her." Bucky replied, nodding towards me

"Ok, that's all I need." said Steve. Over his ear piece, I heard a faint voice. I knew I'd heard it before but I couldn't quite pin it down. "Copy that, Sam." he said to the voice in his ear. Of course it was Sam, as if this wasn't already complicated enough already. "We need to move. Now." and with that, we sprung into action. Steve watched the windows while Bucky grabbed the emergency bag from the beneath the floor boards on my okay. This was about to get messy.