Chapter 13

Fletcher finally came to a stop as we were about to set foot on the beach.

“Here we are,” he proclaimed.

Fletcher gestured towards a large bonfire around which a large group of people had gathered. I could hear a large buzz of chatter emanating from the group.

“What’s going on?” I asked curiously.

I didn’t often bother to come down to the beach in the evenings but in the couple of times that I had passed I had never noticed a gathering this large going on. There wasn’t many people – probably only around fifteen – but they were loud and looked to be having lots of fun.

“The entertainment staff are having a party,” Fletcher told me.

“I don’t mean to ruin this or anything Fletcher, but last time I checked we aren’t entertainment staff,” I told him.

“I know that,” he replied, sounding insulted, “but Jorge invited us, and I thought why the hell not?”

I nodded in understanding before following Fletcher as he made his way towards where everyone was huddled. I held back only ever so slightly, I was nervous, I barely knew any of the entertainment staff, I just knew that they were all insanely attractive.

“Hey,” Fletcher greeted.

His usual smile appeared as easily as ever and he waved as we got closer to the group. His greeting was returned by several people and he tugged me closer to him as we neared them.

“Fletcher and Eleanor right?” one of the girls asked us, “Jorge has told us a lot about you.”

She was – unsurprisingly – beautiful with afro-like hair that she had braided into lots of little plaits. I wanted her hair, when I looked closer I also realised I wanted her shoes, not that they were necessarily beach wear.

Fletcher did not seem fazed by the fact that Jorge had been talking about us and instead turned to the aforementioned boy with a sly grin.

“You could have just told me you thought I was hot,” he teased.

“I don’t exactly swing that way,” Jorge replied easily, “but if I ever start to, you’re my first choice.”

“Hey!” another male member of the entertainment staff said suddenly, “I’m insulted. I’m not only your friend, but I actually do swing that way, why aren’t I your first choice?”

“Shut up Des,” Jorge told him amicably before turning to me.

“So Eleanor, no holding back, are you ready to have a little fun?” he asked me.

I swallowed nervously and focused on where I could still feel Fletcher’s hand pressed against the small of my back.

“Sure,” I replied, trying to sound as casual as possible, “why not?”

We all settled down on the sand, happy to just gather around the campfire and exchange conversation, beer bottles in hand. I sat next to Fletcher, his arm slung casually around my shoulder – it was cold – and I was talking to the girl from before, who I soon learnt was called Elodie.

“Jorge said you were a good dancer,” she told me.

“Jorge was lying,” I replied.

She giggled and offered me a massive smile.

“That doesn’t surprise me. No offence but nobody who stays here seems to be a good dancer, that’s why I hate working here,” she said.

“You don’t like working here?” I asked confused, “why do you then?”