~Chapter Five~

"I don't agree with this. This- this is murder." Minho's voice was sharp.

Alby spun to face him. "What is with you? A few days ago you couldn't stand her."

"I know but this is different. She doesn't deserve to die. Especially not in the Maze. No one deserves that."

I closed my eyes again, resting my cheek in the dirt. I'd been locked in the Slammer until it was time for me to be banished into the Maze. Minho and Alby stood outside as they had been for the last ten minutes, still arguing.

"Minho, what do you not understand about the part of us dying if we don't do this. They will kill us if we don't obey!"

Obey or you die. Obey or you die. Obey or you die.

I ground my teeth and opened my eyes again. The light was fading fast. It was almost time, the Maze wouldn't be open much longer.

"Okay, do you even know what that serum is? It doesn't look like the grief serum to me."

There was a pause. "Whatever is going on here is out of our control."

"Do you ever think about why she was sent up? Why she's the only girl?"

"Minho, give it a rest! What's done is done!" I heard footsteps retreating. Minho heaved a sigh and I sensed him nearing the edge where I was. I closed my eyes again. He paused, looking down at me for a minute. Then he got up and left.

I opened my eyes once more and sat up, leaning against the wall. They'd be coming back soon. To sentence me to death. I tilted my head back and stared at the thatched ceiling. I was so tired, so exhausted. Maybe death would be a welcome escape.

I didn't have much time to dwell on that thought. Voices and the flickering of flames soon were outside the Slammer.

"Yo Greenie, rise and shine!"

"Careful you shuckface! She's dangerous."

"Move it shanks."

The door was unlocked and they entered, shoving and pulling to my feet. I let them lead me out.

"This is what you deserve you bitch."

"Yeah nobody hurts our leaders!"

"Yeah!"

The cheer was echoed and I stumbled out into the Glade. Everyone was there, Alby, Newt, Gally and Minho. He was being held back by two Gladers, one on each arm. And struggling profusely. I was pushed into the middle of their circle, the torches illuminating their faces. I fell to my knees and Alby approached me, a vial in hand.

The serum.

"Alby!" It was Minho. "Don't do this. Please. Come on, do you really want to live with this?" His chest was heaving.

I glanced up at Alby, confliction evident on his face. "Do it." I said. I was done. I was ready to find out who these people were and who I was.

"I'm sorry." Alby said, finally. Then he plunged the needle into my arm.

"No!" someone yelled as my world spun. My vision became fragmented, the edges tinged with black. Someone dragged me to my feet, then they were pushing, pushing me back. There was a grinding noise of gears. A gust of wind blew in my face, I felt dust brush against my skin. I coughed, my head spinning. Someone gave me a finally push and I fell back, my arms striking the ground. A great slamming noise echoed around me.

Then it went black.