Chapter 2 excerpt

Samiyah stood across from the house for the second time that day. She tried to look casual but nervous energy kept her dancing around. She hoped the priestesses would arrive before she got carted off to an asylum. A few minutes later Dijonae’s car pulled up with Catalina, High Priestess for the Children of Atabey, in the passenger seat. Her thick brown hair curled past her shoulder and her expression was full of suspicion. But when she spoke her voice was soft and held no hint of her emotion. “This the house?”

“Yeah. It’s quiet now.” She glanced at the two dark windows. “But I feel like we’re being watched.”

Catalina cut her eye at Samiyah. She turned to Dijonae and asked, “Did you call Zwena? Aroha?”

Dijonae nodded.

Jerking her head towards Samiyah, she asked, “Who called her?”

“I told her.” Samiyah said, irritation creeping into her voice.

A sudden rise in energy made their skin buzz. It distracted them from a growing dislike. They turned towards the house just as a burst of light came from within. As quickly as it came, the light was gone and night settled around them again.

“Those two better get here” Catalina said through gritted teeth.

Dijonae didn’t respond but the carnelian pendant she wore began to glow as she drew power from the full moon. Samiyah’s magic built slowly beneath the surface.

____

You can read an excerpt from chapter one: http://darksilvertree.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/stars-in-the-girl-updates-excerpt/