II

II

Persephone Greene

          Rolling over on my queen-sized mattress, I sighed deeply. It was only six in the morning, but I couldn't sleep in for some unknown reason. Probably pregnancy. In addition to this, my stomach was killing me, cramps shooting through my body.

          I woke up a little nervous of a miscarriage, but, upon reading online found that cramps and indigestion are common in the first 12 weeks, as well as nausea. I was about three weeks in. Usually, the OBGYN won't take you until 6 weeks, but I was on a few medications for ADD I didn't know if I could take anymore. I hope taking them the past couple weeks didn't hurt the little baby. I laid in my bed and thought about everything, how the little baby would have bones and a heartbeat in a few short weeks. Without thinking, I grabbed my cell phone and called Tatiana. She picked up on the third ring.

          "Yes, Ms. Greene, are we opening up shop after all?" She asked, her voice filtering through the phone with the sound of screaming children in the background.

          "Oh, uh, no, actually. I was wondering if you wanted to have a, um, photoshoot today. I'm going to be getting bigger soon and just want to document the pregnancy...ya' know?"

          "Oh! Ms. Greene! What a great idea! I'll ask my mama to watch over my kids. What time do you want to do it? Where you want to meet?"

          "Thanks, Tati. Can we meet at like...9? At the shop? My appointment is at 1:30."

          "Yeah, I'll bring my camera, you just bring yourself." She giggled and I smiled, relieved. Tatiana and I weren't close, I wasn't even close to Louis who had been working with me for a year now, but I felt like Tatiana and I would become close throughout this journey. We said our goodbyes and I looked at my phone for a moment, confused. She has a camera?

          I shook it off and got out the bed, stretching out and groaning. All my muscles ached. The little one was to blame for me feeling terrible these last weeks. My body felt like lead and the smell of food made me queasy. I had been eating fruits and veggies and other things that were little to no prep for the last couple of weeks because of it.

          What is the perfect soon-to-be-mama outfit? I looked through my closet, fingering through the various tops and dresses hung up. It was the beginning of June, which meant the asphalt covered city of New York was coming to a boil. I didn't have much of a selection, I hadn't had the time to go to the laundromat since the expo. So, I decided on a white cropped top and flared vertical striped rainbow pants, slipping on white sandals to complete it. Once I had showered and such I looked like I popped out of a 70s catalog and I was kind of loving it. Especially with my afro poppin', it was a little sad I couldn't get highlights for a little while.

          Yesterday, on the way home, I grabbed some highly recommend (thank the Lord for Tatiana) prenatal vitamins and I took them along with eating some granola and strawberries. While I was crunching away, I tried once again to remember the face of the man I had made my baby with. It got a little clearer since I was thinking about it so much since yesterday. I had been trying to forget for so long it was a little harder to remember.

          In addition to blonde hair, brown eyes, and tanned skin I could remember he was much taller than my 5'6 stature and had a strong nose and jaw. I had to give it to myself, even wasted I had good taste, but the most random detail was I could remember was he had freckles. Cute. Maybe he was a small business owner like myself. Though, I highly doubted he was prosperous. His business must be in the toilet if he couldn't even remember a condom, what's more, is he was probably a terrible lover if I couldn't remember a thing.