Chapter 2: Letter Two.

Chapter Two.

   A week had come and gone since I had last heard from the strange mystery man. I was beginning to feel discouraged that I would ever get a letter back but for good measure, I carried mine around with me everywhere. I never really talked much about it but Jess caught a glimpse of it when I opened my text book where I had tucked it away for safe keeping's and she was all over me for it.

   "Let me see!" She pleaded.

   "No." I huffed.

  "Please?!" She whimpered.

 "Jess, it's nothing. Really." I bargained, hoping she would buy into my every word. Sometimes this worked and other times she was just to smart for her own good.

 "Who's it from?!" She pried farther.

 "A person."

 "A GUY!" Her face lit up with a look of excitement, "Have you been writing him long? Where's he from?!" A shower of questions rained down on me. One right after the other and I couldn't even begin to answer. My heart sank.

 "Shut up and I'll let you see it." I glared at her, hoping maybe it would change her mind.

 "Buttttttt..." She whined in my ear.

  Unfolding the letter, I handed it to her. It wasn't even in her hand a minute before she was cooing at me softly and giggling, "Oh, he's a romantic one." She taunted. After a few minutes, she handed the letter back to me. A silence had fallen over her.

  Silence, what a beautiful thing. Jessica Ann Parker didn't know what silence was but for one glorious moment, she fell hushed. Taking in the contents of the letter I assumed.

   "What's the matter?" I asked, a coy smile settling over my face.

   "Where the hell did you find that guy? He is by far the most perfect guy ever." She muttered. gazing at me with resentment in her eyes.

   "Didn't you read the letter? He found me and where, I have no idea." I shrugged, pushing a piece of stray raven hair from my face.

   "You are so lucky to have a guy that writes you cute letters." Jess smiled at me.

   "He's not 'my guy.' He's a stranger Jess, who just happens to think I am a beautiful young woman." I couldn't help it. I could feel my face turning red.

 "Awe, mister amazing made you blush. How cute." Jess teased, picking up a piece of carrot and nibbling a piece off it.

 "Are you coming over today or not? Mom said you can, could probably eat dinner with us, too but after dinner Sue and I have bible study." I cringed.

 "It is Friday so maybe I can stay the night. I will sit through bible study with you guys. Mr. Ryder would probably love that."

 "I bet he would."

 "Don't be sarcastic." She scowled, poking at the plate of food in front of her.

 "I'm not." I nodded.

  The bell rang, taking us away from lunch and one by one we filed into our class rooms. With only three classes to go, I felt pretty ready to go home. I wanted to check the mail, I wanted to go to sleep. I wanted to do anything but be in school.

  My feet shuffled toward the next classroom. Although the hall was so loud, all I could hear was the sweet sound of music playing in my ears. I wanted to get home and play my latest record. My father disapproved of my music but I knew that was only because he was a preacher and believed that rock-n-roll was the devils music. I was only glad that he never protested when he heard my music playing. The day dragged onward and I could hardly wait to go home.