One

The girl's eyes opened in the dark room, all the windows had been covered, even the one leading to the hallway, blocking any trace of light. The room looked almost lifeless in the looming darkness, making every shadow into an imaginary monster.

She sat up, her head spinning. She rubbed the back of her head as she tried to remember the events that had occurred before she passed out.

The doctor injected something into her body, told her it would last a week then told her to sleep well. She rearranged herself so she was sitting up completely now and on the edge of her bed.

The IV fluids had been replaced to what looked like a yellow liquid, though in the dark it was hard to tell. The only thing that remained the same in her room was the bed, the IV pump, a heart monitor and of course herself. The TV had been taken as well as the table and chairs for visitors.

The door opened and the girl hid her face from the light that came in from the hallway. She never felt much sensitivity to light, maybe it was due to being locked in a dark room for who knows how long.When the door closed she moved her hands and saw a young, nervous looking female.

"OH MY GOD."

-Joy-

I opened my mouth to ask what was wrong but nothing came out. I could hear her heartbeat, it beat quickly and skipped beats every so often. Why could I hear it now, I never could before. A sweet smell came with the girl, but not like any perfume I'd ever smelled, this smell was salty, yet sweet and different.

The girl dropped her clipboard as she stared at me. Why was she nervous? The girl left the room and slammed the door quickly, leaving the dropped clipboard and pen.

I slowly got up, pulled the IV with me, and walked towards the doorway. I picked up the pen and examined it in my hands, grabbing the clipboard I attempted to read the scribbled notes except nothing was written in Korean, it was all French.

I placed the pen gently on top of the clipboard and left it on the floor, wandering back to my bed. I sat down and began to play with my fingers.

Why was that girl scared of me?

I sat in the hospital bed, tracing the veins on my arm, stopping when I reached the IV needle and starting from the palm of my hand again. No one had come back into the dark room after that strange girl.

My eyes had begun to adjust to the darkness and I could see clearly. My eyes wandered to the blank heart monitor, which had been unplugged and disconnected from my body, only the sticky residue remain.

I felt lonely in the dark, solitary room and I began to feel hungry. No one had come to check on me yet and the hunger I felt began to eat away at my stomach. My head hurt from lack of food and my body felt weak.

Hearing the creak of the door was a miracle. The doctor who walked in was the same female, this time she had a glass in her hands. The liquid the glass contained had the same smell as what I'd smelled on her all those hours earlier.

"H-here," her voice shook as she walked closer to me, handing me the glass. She grabbed her clipboard off the floor and allowed her eyes to rest on me.

My eyes were focused on the glass in my hands, my tongue tracing over my lips. The same hunger I felt in my stomach pit that night returned as the smell of the liquid intoxicated me.

"What is this," I asked hesitantly.

The girl shrugged, "It's.. going to be the best thing for your recovery."

I smelled the mysterious drink hesitantly, it smelled salty. When I took the first sip it tasted sweet.

"What is this?"

"Blood."