Chapter 34 | Care Less More

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER: Care Less More by Olivia O'Brien

When I finished all my classes on Thursday, I forced myself to go home again. The thought of Savannah left in that house all alone with my family made my stomach churn. Savannah deserved so much better, but I had no idea how to make that happen. After all, I still technically lived with my family, too.

That afternoon, I was helping Savannah with her English homework when Mom walked through the door, a look of surprise on her face at seeing me there. She didn't speak to me, so I didn't speak to her, which was fine by me. Anger still swirled through my chest whenever I looked at her, anger I couldn't see myself getting over any time soon. The fact that we weren't on speaking terms didn't bother me one bit.

On Friday, I spent the entire day avoiding both Roman and my mom as much as I could. I even went for a hike for several hours in the freezing weather to make that happen. When I returned home after the walk, I was beyond exhausted and my entire body was frozen solid, but I didn't regret it one bit. At that stage, I convinced myself I'd rather die of hypothermia then be left in a room alone with either one of them.

Since Roman lost his driver's licence, my mom asked me to drive him to his group meeting after dinner. It was the first time she'd spoken to me in a month or so and it was a strange experience. Even though driving Roman was the last thing I wanted to do, I didn't have the energy to kick up a fuss and cause a fight with my mom. So, I sucked it up and suffered through the painful car rides alone with him.

When Saturday morning rolled around, I was extremely close to committing murder. Not only was the idea to slaughter almost my entire family beginning to look appealing, but I was willing to do the same to anyone who bothered me in the slightest way. After being away from home for so long, I forgot how exhausting my family was. And since I couldn't stand to be around anyone except for Savannah, the exhaustion increased tenfold.

Padding into the kitchen, I huffed out a sigh. It was just after 8:30 am and the house was fairly silent. The cupboard creaked as I pulled the door open and extracted a bowl. Milk sloshed against the porcelain as I poured it, followed by the sounds of cereal dropping into the liquid. Seconds later, my Mom entered the kitchen, her steps tentative, with Savannah was shuffling closely behind her. My sister's dark hair was pulled into a tight bun and she was wearing grey leggings and a patterned white t-shirt. The usual outfit she wore to her dance class.

"Isadora, would you please do me a favour?" my mom asked. Ever since our huge fight during the Christmas dinner at Julian's house, she'd been using my full name. She had also been walking on eggshells around me, which was something I was not used to. I was usually the one walking on eggshells around her.

I nodded for her to continue while I ate my cereal, even though I had a feeling I already knew what she was going to ask me.

"I have an appointment this morning and then a lunch I must attend at midday. Would you please take Savannah to dance class and then to her playdate afterwards?"

Playdate? How old did Mom think Savannah was, six?

I had no plans for today, so saying no wasn't an option unless I wanted to start World War III right there in my own kitchen. Once again, I did not want to cause a fight with my mom, so I found myself agreeing.

Mom thanked me, which threw me a little since she rarely thanked anyone unless she believed they truly deserved it. She disappeared not long after, heading off to her appointment.

"Are you ready?" Savannah asked me, a wide grin on her face. "We get to spend time together today. How cool!"

I placed my empty bowl by the sink, a small smile creeping onto my face. If Savannah was happy, then I was happy, too. "I just have to get dressed and then I'll be ready."