Episode 34: The Nature-Loving Princess!

It's only been a couple days since the Celadon City Contest, but Kari feels ready for this. She's running down the street with Eevee on her heels, a shared piece of toast in their mouths. Kari skids to a halt as she turns a corner- Eevee almost slams into her. The sudden stop causes him to choke a bit on his food. He pounds his chest and finally breaths normally.

    "Look at that..!" Eevee stares up at Kari at the sound of her awestruck voice. He jumps onto her right shoulder and the two look up at the building. She remembered when she approached Lt. Surge's gym in Vermillion City- it was obvious the type of gym it was by the electrical decorations it had. Kari smiled and glanced over at Eevee, "Erika must really like Grass-Types, huh?" She climbed the steps towards the giant Gloom-flower shaped building.

    The automatic doors slid open as they approached. Kari stops for a moment to collect herself. This would be her 6th Gym Badge... it was hard to believe that they were so close now... She takes a deep breathe before stepping over the threshold.

    "Woooow~!" Kari and Eevee are amazed by all the greenery inside the gym. She looks at her friend, "You wouldn't guess that all these plants were here by just looking from the outside! I can't tell if this is a Pokémon Gym or a Greenhouse!"

    "That's because it's both." There's an older girl with long green pigtails standing at the counter ahead. She waves them over. Smiling down at Kari she leans over the counter, "Are you here ti register for classes?" Kari raises an eyebrow, "Classes?" The girl nods as she begins to type at her computer screen, "That's right. You see, here at the Celadon Gym, we offer all different types of classes for our students. While most gyms help to teach young Trainers about Pokémon Battle Strategy, in addition to that, we teach about Pokémon Relationships and Harmony and even Herb-robics. There's also advanced classes on Botany, Floriculture, Flower Arrangements and my personal favorite: "Growing Your Own Grass-Type Pokémon!"

    With this lady's bright pink dress and sunny attitude, Kari's feeling a bit overwhelmed.  She recognizes a book on display here. Kari blinks, "Wait a minute." She reaches into her bag and pulls out her own copy of "The Beauty of Kanto's Flora and Fauna." The woman seems delighted, "You've already got our assigned textbook! Splendid!" Kari looks back at the cover and for the 1st time notices that listed author as "Celadon City's Nature-Loving Princess, Gym Leader Erika." So this was where Brock had gotten it...! Kari awkwardly scratches her head, "Well, actually, I'm not here for any of those classes... You see..."

    "You're here for a Gym Battle, aren't you?" The both turn at the sound the new voice. Another older girl walks up to them. She's wearing a khaki shirt and shorts with a red tie, her long blue hair in a low ponytail. The girl behind the counter speaks up, "What do you mean by that, Tanya? This girl is much too young for a battle against Miss Erika." The other girl, Tanya, just smiles at her friend, "Did you already forget about the young Trainer Miss Erika had told us about, Julia?" She looked back at Kari, "She's been excited waiting for you, you know. Ever since that Pokémon Contest." Kari blushes, "S-she has?"

    Tanya nods. She puts an arm around Kari's shoulders, leading her away. She looks back over her shoulder, "You can lock up for now. Something tells me this is going to be a good one!" Julia steps around the counter and gives them a thumbs up.

    "Miss Erika is in the middle of Story Time right now, but she should be about finished." They walked deeper into the maze-like greenhouse. Kari turned her head from side to side, admiring the large flowers and trees growing all around the building. She stopped when she recognized a group of Oddish standing amongst the tall grass. Tanya notices the book in her hands with its bent edges and stickies poking out where Kari had made notes, "Miss Erika would be very happy to you're utilizing her book to the fullest." Kari blushes as she looks at the worn pages, "O-oh! Yes! It's been very helpful! I'm not very good with plants and such, so having this kind of resource is helpful!"