Chap IV: Parlor Games

I've never really had a place to call my own before, besides now. Well, this isn't really mine, but I am the only one living in it so it might as well be. The gardeners shed: its quant, peaceful, quiet. It's not really a shed in my opinion, more rather an actual house; it has a bed, counter space with a sink that works spotingly, it's own little little table, along with all the tools needed for a gardener.

I had pushed the table against the window, and I am now sitting there while playing solitaire, intermittently glancing up outside the window to watch what is going on outside. It seems like my hard work paid off; that party is today and it looks like everyone is enjoying themselves, and rather then having to work like the others I got the day off. Although, my love for idleness isn't the only thing that makes me proud of my work— sometimes I catch a glimpse of her through the party of woman and children in their pastel flowery dresses, she pops out among them all, her smile as bright as the sun. When I do catch a glimpse of her, compared to the others her confidence is jarring, a confidence that just crushes me.

I can't pull my eyes off her in the crowd, the warm sunlight coming through the window and hitting against my face making my eyes daze as I watch her swirl throughout the festivity; it was a trance.

A knocking at my door, and my eyes jut open as I almost fall from my seat. Shit, I must've fallen asleep! Attempting to stable myself and stand in a stumble, I quickly head to the the door and swing it open as I continue to try to compose myself in a presentable manner.

"Hel....O-Oh! Hello there, sir!" I was completely caught off guard to see Mr. Mymble standing there. I honestly expected him to stay in his office all day, since the party was going on. And if he did come to see me for something, I wouldn't expect him to get all dressed up in his full outing getup and with two cases. Wait, come to think of it, why is he wearing that?

"Joxter! I've come to thank you. Without you I wouldn't be doing this." He put down one of the bags he was carrying and held his hand out to me, I took it in a hesitant confusion. He has the same sparkle in his eyes as when I told him about my journey. I knew an idea was brewing in his head, I just didn't know it would be whatever this is!

"Doinnggg..... what exactly? Sorry, if you don't mind me asking." I think I have an idea in mind in what he's planning, but I just want to confirm it. He shook my hand for quite some time before pulling away.

"I'm going on an adventure!" Yep, that's what I thought. He spoke full of excitement, the glimmer in his eyes seemed to shine more and more. I could feel my hands go clammy; how do I react in a situation like this? I only travel because I'm homeless and refuse to get a steady job to sustain me and a house, not to build a resume for life. But, I also want others to experience the wonders and expanse of the world- so I guess this is a good thing! This just all caught me off guard. "I knew I was missing something in my writing, and after you told me you're story I knew what I was lacking: heart, enthusiasm, all those things that really draw a reader in! Those things you get from experiences! So I am leaving, and I am not coming back until I believe my work is satisfactory."

"Um, that's great, sir. I just have one ques-"

"And as you said, Joxter, there is a lot out there in the world."

"Yes. Yes there is. But, sir. I have a question for you. What does lady Mymble think of this plan of yours?"

"Oh. Right." The sparkle disappeared from his eyes as his expression turned to that of concern; it was almost as if I could see the clockwork cogs turning in his head. "I guess I've gotten so used to just living my own life in my office that I had forgotten to tell anybody." He let out a half hearted chuckle along with his confession. If he is truly going on these adventures to learn lessons about life, and not just to get away from his devil daughters, then it has already begun and this is his first lesson.