Practice Makes Perfect

Clarke's POV

"Why can't we just go hang out with everyone at the lake like normal people?" I asked in a hough struggling to carry the backpack Octavia handed me.
"Hey I told you that you could stay behind I was fine coming here on my own" She responded walking towards the dark green building surrounded by tall trees, The Ground displayed in white letters.
"Well I wanted to spend time with my favorite girl" I said pinching her cheek as she swatted me away.
"Okay! Listen these guys can be pretty intense. I've only been here about five times but they show no mercy. They say that's how your skills act on impact, it's important to getting better" Octavia said stopping me before we entered.
"Okay okay now can you tell me exactly what this place is? Is it like parkour or something?" I asked now curious about her description. I should probably ask before I come along next time.
"No, well there is a rock wall but no its a lot, I would describe it as survival/ self defense lessons. I'm sure you'll like it plus the people in here are gorgeous." She said turning back to the door. "Oh and one more thing control your sarcasm in here Griffin. " She said opening the door and walking in. I walked in behind her and looked at the place in awe. It was organized in a specific system, three matts that appeared to be occupied by pairs fighting with sticks like swords, a rock wall like Octavia had said was covering almost half of the building with a pool right under a portion of it. Bars hung from random parts of the building that people were jumping from and swinging making it look easy. I turned to Octavia with a confused and semi scared look on my face. What the hell did I get myself into.
"Welcome back Octavia I didn't think you'd be back so soon"
"Lincoln!" Octavia exclaimed jumping into a big muscular guy in a koala hug.
"I brought some new blood, although she doesn't know what she's in for" She says turning to me when she gets back on her feet and smirks.
"Yea you know if we can just start off slow and steady or if I can just sit and watch that would be great" I shoot back handing the backpack to Octavia.
"I don't think that's going to happen considering we didn't know to schedule another person so all of the trainers are busy except for Lex and considering she runs this place I think you're in for a hell of a afternoon." Lincoln says matching Octavia's smirk.
"Okay fun! You go get Lexa while Clarke and I change and we'll meet you on the mats." Octavia says tugging me by my arm towards what I'm assuming is the locker room. I turn back to see Lincoln walking towards a black door that has tree branches rooting out from it.

After changing into a pair of black leggings and a loose blue windbreaker with a black tank top. I'm waiting outside of the room on the bench for Octavia to come out. The amount of people on the floor went down and the only people that are still here are the handful of people on the rock wall. I look over at the black door and stare at it curiously seeing Lincoln waiting patiently to the side of it.
"Hey you ready?" Octavia asks rubbing her hands together excitedly.
"I mean I guess, but what did Lincoln mean by that back there is this Lexa person really that tough?"
"Well she's tough but she's a good trainer from what I've seen she'll get you results. And not many people train with her so consider yourself lucky."
"I don't feel so lucky" I murmur leaning my cheek on the palm of my hand and playing with the zipper on the side of my leggings.
"Octavia shall we" I hear Lincoln say and feel Octavia pat my shoulder and walk away.

"So I'm assuming you're Clarke?" I hear a soft voice ask before I look up. Well I take that lucky feeling back. A brown haired girl with bright green eyes stood in front of me with an eyebrow raised and both hands behind her back. She wore all black which only helped bring out her eyes.
"You're assumption is correct" I retort standing up and extending my hand. She looks down at it then back at me then shakes my hand.
"I'm Lexa I'll be helping you out today" She says keeping a neutral tone with her voice which is both intimidating yet calming.
"So Clarke is there anything you'd specifically like to focus on?" She asks
"Well what do you have to offer? Because honestly I thought we were going to a library or a really cool scenic park" I say crossing my arms and tilting my head to the side.
"I don't have anything mellow to offer you in here clearly" She says motioning the room with her arm a smirk appearing on her face.
"But I may have something outside" She says turning and gesturing me to follow her.
I jog up next to her.
"So how does someone so young end up with a crazy place like this?" I ask hoping to get to know more about this beautiful woman next to me.
"Well lots of hard work" She stopping and turning towards me "And rich parents always help" She chuckles.
"Ah so you're one of those" I say following her as she continues walking down a hallway and stops at the door that I'm assuming leads outside.
"One of those?" She asks over her shoulder as she props the door open and motions me to go out first. I comply and walk out before turning to look at her before she steps out.
"Yea you know the mommy and daddy bought me everything type? Although you don't seem to fit the characteristics of most"
"How so?" She asks stepping closer to me.
I swallow hard hoping I didn't offend her.
"Well I've talked to you for a total of giver take 5 minutes and you haven't rubbed all of what you own in my face like some people I've met. Well one specifically. I don't have great taste in men apparently." I say shaking my head at the memory. I don't know what I was thinking then.
"Personally I think that kind of behavior is unappealing to me and I rather give to people in need than to brag about what I have."
"That's sweet" I say smiling at her and softly nudge her arm, I see a light blush on her cheeks which only makes me smile wider.
"So, you said peace and tranquility?" She said walking past me. I turn around and see a gravel path with tall trees on either side. There's swings at the end of the trail with trees forming a circle to make the space look almost like a back patio. There's flowers sprouting in random places and to the side there's a small slide with monkey bars next to it and a see saw.
I turned back to look at Lexa slightly confused.
"We have kids come in from time to time and I figured to make them a small area and have them be away from inside it can be chaos at times." She says chuckling and shaking her head. "There's different ranks that people can achieve here depending on how well you fight. The little ones are the nightbloods" She says and sits on a swing. I follow her lead and look up at the trees.
"So if the little ones start off at night bloods, then what are you?" I ask curiously and start swinging on the swing. She stays still watching me swing and shrugs her shoulders.
"Well it's a name my other trainers gave me, Heda, after I beat everyone in a couple of fun matches of spurring I was left as the best"
"Really? Even Lincoln? That huge dude I just saw?" I ask confused halting my swinging to look at her. She's got to be bluffing.
She lets out a laugh and nods.
"Even Lincoln, he was one of the first to fall." She says with a smug look.
"That's crazy, hey can you show me how you take down a guy like that?" I ask excitedly and getting up from the swing.
"Sure, I'll try not to hurt you" She says standing up and walking back towards the door.
"Oh don't worry about me I've been thrown around before"
"What?" She asks with a confused look. Cute.
"No no well no I grew up with brothers so in the play fighting sense" I say laughing.
"Gotcha. Okay well I'll make sure to not go easy on you since you have experience." She says and shoots me a smile then unprops the door so it shuts behind us. She walks over to a crate right next to the end of the hallway and throws me a wooden stick. I catch it barely and I see her grab one for herself.
We walk towards the mats and see Lincoln and Octavia trying out the rock wall and Octavia trying get Lincoln to fall into the pool. I look back at Lexa and she's spinning the stick in her hands with ease. Almost like she's getting used to it.
"Lunge at me" She says getting into a stance.
"Lunge at you? How?" I ask holding the stick on my left side.
"However you want. I want to see what I'm working with." She says halting her spinning and holding up the stick in a defense mode.
I raise the stick up and push the stick into her right side. She dodges it with ease and circles around me. I try again and she blocks it and pushes the stick back. I sigh in frustration and spin the stick into her left again and she pulls hers to dodge it. The impact catches me off guard and my stick falls on the floor and so do I. She straddles my hips and holds her stick against my chest.
"You can't drive your attacks on frustration . You need to get in your opponents mind more and think of your next move as you think of the one you are currently doing." She says standing up then extends her hand to me.
I shake my head and take her hand and grab the stick from the floor.
"Well that's a lot of steps is there a shortcut through that."
"Nope" she says smiling and does a come here motion with her finger. That's hot.
"Again. Come on think of what I told you."
I get back up into position and smirk shaking my head.
"You just want more opportunities to get on top of me." I say a small smirk on my lips. My grin gets bigger when I see a pink blush creeping onto her cheeks.
"I didn't hear you complaining about it." She says stepping closer to me. My eyes narrow and great now I'm the one blushing.
"Well I would never say no to a beautiful girl being on top of me." I say raising my eyebrow and gripping the stick better.
"So you're a bottom?" She asks chuckling which causes me to choke on nothing. I shake my head and lunge at her again which she dodges easily. After a couple of hit and misses I think of what she said and I make the motion of swinging left but quickly change to the right and knock her stick out of her hands. I bring the stick down to the back of her knee and push it against it causing her to loose her balance. I quickly get on top of her mimicking her previous position. There's confusion in her eyes and then a smirk looking up at me. She reaches up settling her hands on my hips.
"Well I won't call you that again." She says chuckling again then letting out a laugh.
"Yea don't or you won't ever get the chance to find out" I say raising my eyebrows and getting off of her. I stand and offer her a hand to stand up.
"Oh so I have a chance now?" Lexa asks smiling not letting go of my hand that brings butterflies to my stomach.
"You do" I reply smiling squeezing her hand that felt so right in mine.
"How about you give me your number and we can meet sometime for dinner?" She asks causing my heart to beat faster. I clear my throat and nod at the offer.
"Yea yea that would be great!" Walking over to her office she grabs her phone and comes back and hands it over to me. I chuckle making sure to give myself a great contact name and hand it back.
"Hey you ready to head out? The guys called they're going to the bar." Octavia waving me over to the locker room. I nodded and turned to Lexa my hand reflexively going on her shoulder.
"I look forward to that dinner Lexa" I say smiling. Not knowing what came over me I lean up and kiss her cheek and walked away.
Not knowing that Lexa was blushing furiously when Lincoln saw the interaction and even more when she saw my contact name.
"The top❤️"