Chapter 3

It wasn't like the room was uncomfortable. Actually, it was far better than Kyle's living quarters in the Horde. It was a small room with a bed so fluffy that it almost resembled a cloud. The sky blue walls were a stark contrast to the cold, charcoal colored ones of the Fright Zone. Everything Kyle needed was provided for him, and he didn't even have to share the room with his cohort! He wasn't used to having all this personal space. No one to push him around or tell him what he was doing wrong. No one to blame their shortcoming on him. No one... at all. Except the soldier that was outside his door to make sure he didn't try to escape. It was fun for the first few hours being free from the abuse of the Horde, but this new room was no more than a luxury prison. He wondered when Queen Angella and the princesses would come to a decision about him. He knew they were busy with the war, but were they really so busy that no one could bother to visit him for 3 days?

Kyle sank into his pillow-like bed with a sigh and studied the intricate paintings on the ceiling. The great battles and epic heroes were drawn in gold and shone in the sun that was streaming through the room's many windows. He had spent his first few days of captivity gazing at these murals with excitement. Maybe the Rebellion wouldn't be as hard on him as the Horde was, and he'd actually be able to do something right! Maybe someday he'd do enough to have his picture up there with the others. People would see it and remember the great deeds of Kyle and his friends Bow, Adora, and Glimmer. But as the days dragged on, Kyle's hope began to falter. The words of his tormentors crept their way back into his mind. "nobody wants you here, Kyle." "You can't do anything right!" "you're lucky we let you stay here." How was he supposed to become a great hero if he couldn't even get out of this room? 

A faint sound interrupted Kyle's thoughts, and he sat up. Footsteps! Had someone finally come to set him free? Had they decided to give him a chance to prove himself? Kyle ran to the door and pressed his ear up against it. The footsteps grew louder. It sounded like multiple people! He could almost make out their voices... He closed his eyes and concentrated.

Laughter from Glimmer. An earnest remark from Adora. An exclamation of "best friend squad" from Bow. Their voices trailed away.

Kyle slid to the ground in disappointment. He should've known. This wasn't the first time they'd passed by his door. Had they forgotten he was in there? Did they even know? Kyle understood not rescuing him from the Horde, but why couldn't Bow take a few minutes to visit him in the very castle where he spent most of his days? He couldn't even stop by for a minute when he was already passing by his door? Kyle sighed. The Princess Alliance was in no hurry to get him out of here, and neither was Bow. Even after he'd called him his best friend, there was no room for Kyle in Bow's precious "Best Friend Squad." Kyle hung his head in defeat.

"Well," he said to himself, "guess it's time to count floor tiles again."