six. by hook or by crook

🕸

🕸

"I'LL HEAD OUT to grab dinner for the both of you, so make yourself at home!" Aunt May smiled sweetly at Rhea, who was filled with utmost gratitude for how she's been nothing but accommodating since she arrived without any notice. "And Peter? Clear the top bunk of your bed and lend Rhea your pyjamas and blanket, tonight's pretty chilly."

"Thank you so much, Mrs Parker," Rhea thanked her for the umpteenth time before Peter's attractive aunt made her way out. Nudging Peter's shoulder, she smiled at him, "Your aunt's really kind."

"Told you so," he grinned in return before gesturing to his room. Somehow, sharing a bedroom with him tonight made Rhea's insides go all mushy, let alone going to a boy's house? Her mother would've considered this scandalous. But he's just a friend, so it should be fine, right?

Entering his room, her first thought was the fact that his room is the epitome of a geek's, a cute one. Desk full of random papers, a pile of seemingly spoilt electronics in one corner, lots and lots of posters, from movie posters like The Empire Strikes Back to school posters about academic decathlons, shelved books, Science models and character figurines, he truly has it all; albeit slightly messy and disorganized.

"Sorry for the mess," he chuckled, hastily carrying down the plastic boxes that rested on the top bunk of his bed and chucking them aside. 

"I should be the one apologizing," Rhea assured, fidgeting with her hands and preoccupied with guilt for just being a huge inconvenience in general.

Peter noticed her change of tone and approached her readily, "You aren't troubling us at all. On the contrary, Aunt May was really happy to see you."

A smile caressed her lips, appreciative for his reassurance. He quickly scurried over to his wardrobe and rummaged through it, finally emerging with a large grey sweater and a pair of navy blue pyjama pants. "I think they might be a bit too big for you, but it's worth a try," he gently placed the soft clothing into Rhea's arms, smelling very lightly of lavender. "I just want you to feel comfortable here, and safe."

This time, she couldn't help it. She hugged him with her free hand around his shoulder before quickly wanting to pull back out of sheer embarrassment, but Peter doing the same stopped her. Despite the heaviness in her stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of his warmth engulfing her. 

It was a simple gesture. Yet somehow, it made her think that perhaps, the future wouldn't be so bleak after all.

"I'll make it up to you one day, Peter."

"You already did, though?"

-

2:47 AM glowed red on the digital clock. Her eyes shot open, as if sleeping was such a dangerous thing to her. She would've continued burrowing herself in the soft, warm blanket that Peter had gotten her before heading to bed 3 hours ago, but only Rhea would do that.

She sat up and quietly slipped her feet off the bed, letting it hang off the edge of the 2nd bunk. Then, she started thinking, suspecting even— that Peter wasn't being entirely honest. She remembered it all too clearly what took place in that alleyway. There was no way he could've seen her from afar. When she decided she wanted to kill that asshole, she made sure they were in a blind spot. After all, she didn't want to get rid of witnesses too.

The only possibility on why he somehow knew what she tried to do? He's the one who stopped her. And she's going to confirm it, by hook or by crook.

Climbing down the ladder with caution, her feet sunk into the carpeted floor silently. She stared at the boy who's peacefully asleep, the only movement being the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest. But she wasn't here to extract the answer out of a pretty boy. She would find it herself. 

Tip-toeing to the wardrobe, she cautiously opened it, surveying every single article of clothing in the dim room, lit by only a single lamp. However, she couldn't spot any vibrant red. Taking a glimpse at the boy to ensure he remains undisturbed, she resumed her search. From drawers and cupboards to underneath the desk and his bed, her hope was starting to diminish. There weren't much hiding places in this room to begin with.

And then it hit her.

Instantly looking around the room, she spotted his backpack. Scampering towards it and kneeling down, she held the bag in her arms and pulled the zipper incredibly slowly. As soon as there was a big enough opening, she brought it closer to the lamp.

There, beams of light perfectly illuminated what exactly she needed to see. The red that seared itself into her head, and the little, black spider symbol in front that Rhea would've found cute, as she does with everything.

It was a rare sight, seeing the city's reliable vigilante all snuggled up in bed, vulnerable and unaware to danger even his spider sense couldn't detect.

- - - - -

qotd !! ;
how do you think thor likes his eggs in the morning?
(no this is an innocent question, i genuinely want to know)