t h r e e

h a l l e

v a l e n t i n e

Waking up the following morning was a downhill experience, sweat clung to my body as I'd forgot to open the windows last night, yesterday's events came crashing down on me. I groaned, this is why people like me didn't go to parties: one, we would be kissed by popular seniors; and two, I would make usually chill seniors like Dylan explode angrily although I blame that on the night, he had already looked slightly stressed now that I thought about it.

It was probably something personal, I mean, we'd been arguing about something completely irrelevant and stupid. Yep, I'd probably just hit a very sore subject and he'd forgive me. . . Right?

I didn't expect Carmen to be back so soon, I kind of expected her to get caught again by mom, but instead I walked out to see Carmen eating breakfast in sweatpants. Previously I had thought I'd scream at her the minute she set foot in the house. Now, I just grabbed an apple and walked out of the house wordlessly, I wondered if she even knew that I was mad at her. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't, sometimes she was oblivious to my feelings while other times we were the sisters who knew everything there is to know about each other.

. . . Really, there was no in between.

The apple was eaten quickly because I was hungry, honestly I should have eaten breakfast at home but my pride wouldn't have allowed me to do so—never in a million years. In the mornings, the park was usually empty with the exception of a couple of people using it as their morning hangout. I collapsed on the bench; I was both hungry and tired. Parties are so energy draining, I don't know how some people do this every weekend.

I was still in my brooding state when I heard a familiar voice which made my heart leap. I was so close go jumping under the bench to hide. Yes, you've got it. It was Dylan Morgan and his group of friends, however I was better than that and I did owe him an apology. The bold last night Halle was resurfacing again, I'd better use the newfound confidence while I could.

He was standing with the rest of his senior friends, hands shoved into his pockets when I walked up to him, "Hey, Dylan! Thanks for last night-"

This gained a number of catcalls from his friends jokingly, his cheeks was dusted a light pink before he pulled me away towards a more empty side of the park. Guys are honestly such jerks, his friends were suggesting that he had done more than take me home last night, what dirty little worms. If I could blush I would but my skin just doesn't have the capacity to blush, books tell that girls blush every minute but yet I've never blushed.

"Last night wasn't a problem, it's cool, " his hand rubbed his neck awkwardly.

"Right and I'm sorry about what I said, it was obviously a sensitive subject and I shouldn't have pushed it."

He shrugged, "Yeah, I probably shouldn't have tried to shove my opinion down your throat so I'm sorry too. I was going through my manly period, " I laughed but held my tongue, did he have blood flowing out of him every month, I think not. "Hal, have you had breakfast?"

"N—" my stomach's loud growl beat me to it, the sound was basically to put it lightly, it sounded like a dying whale. Almost instantly, he cracked up laughing—it was that bend over, knee slapping and utterly genuine laughter. I frowned, the universe just doesn't like me, that just had to happen. He began to recollect himself before taking a look at my face then cracking up all over again, god, I hate him. My scowl only grew bigger as his laughter became louder.

He stifled a laugh, "That settles it. Come on, I know this place that we can go to for a good breakfast and I'm sure your stomach agrees. I'm sorry, it was just so loud. You're hands down louder than the entire football team."