Chapter 3: Encounter

I pulled up my crimson tie towards my neck. Unlike other schools, this middle school required uniforms. For girls, we have a sleeved white shirt, a red neck tie and a black pleated skirt. During winter, we either wore sweaters, in a colour choice of pink, red or camel. We would also wear blazers when it was really cold. I picked up my rucksack which was supposed to be my school bag and headed down the stairs. Grace was waiting for me, crossed arm with a HTC in one hand. Strands of her sleek midnight brown hair was bobby pinned neatly to the sides of her head. "Oh, hi! Quickly have your breakfast and we're leaving," she called out. I quickly strolled down the stairs and took a seat on the table. Hot cakes, served with maple syrup and butter. I took the knife and swiftly cut through the stack, then chewed them quietly. "Oh, that's some good table manners you have there. Grace, you should learn from Phillia. Despite your name being 'Grace'," Uncle Martin shook his head then they both cracked into laughter while I drank the warm milk form a mug. I slowly got up and picked my bag up, looking at Grace for a moment then headed towards the door. "Hold on, Phillia. You walk too fast," Grace rushed towards me, "And to think I waited for you. Bye mum! Bye dad!" She threw flying kisses at them then eagerly waved her palm. "Make sure to be back by seven. Dinner's not gonna wait for you!" Aunt Dorrian yelled at us. "Okay!"

        We walked across to the train station and took the subway too school. It was 15 minute trip journey, to and forth. I gazed around the train with my caramel brown hair waving about on the ride. I took out a book form my grey and white striped rucksack and flipped to a page. Page 124, page 124, I thought. Suddenly, a bump came from behind and knocked the book out of my hand. "Be careful, Leo!" the voice was of a boy's. He turned towards me and picked up my book, "Sorry. Really sorry. I guess we shouldn't be playing on a train, right?" He smiled sweetly. Just like Aunt Dorrian and Uncle Martin but this person's smile was like the Sun itself. I nodded my head slightly and retrieved the book form his large hands. He smiled again. His eyes were slightly shaded by his jet black hair but I could clearly see his deep blue eyes. I turned my head away, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. A slight blush creeped onto my face and I felt really warm inside. The boy flustered a bit then clumsily turned towards his friends. "Alex, hurry up! What're you doing?" the boy called Leo asked. Alex. His name is Alex. My face started to become warmer and I knew, that if I looked into a mirror now, my face would look as red as a strawberry.