chapter 1: instinct

Right from the start Negan knew there was something.

He’d always loved the feeling of submission. To watch others bend to his will. Loved to see the fucking surrender in their eyes.

It was the Alpha in him. The need for respect as an Alpha male had always played a part in his interactions with people, even before the world went to shit. It'd gotten dramatically worse after, he could admit. Without society he'd become much more animal than he’d ever been before. But even still, never had he ever experienced anything close to what he'd felt with Rick at his feet.

God. The memory alone was enough to make his cock twitch. Rick on his knees in front of him, at his mercy, looking up at him with those eyes - shit how was it even genetically fucking possible to have eyes that fucking blue - telling Negan he was his, that he belonged to Negan. It'd felt better than good, it'd felt fucking right.

Normally Negan didn't bother himself with house calls. Technically they were too early to be paying a visit at all, but he couldn't give a shit. He needed to see Rick again.

It hadn't occurred to him to question that. He could be impulsive when it came to things he wanted, and he wanted Rick. Any way he could get him.

When they got to Alexandria Negan zeroed in on him. Pushing his buttons and soaking up his reactions, taunting him. He got a kick out of the way Rick squirmed with Lucille in his hand. Ignored the tingling feeling that spread in his chest when he got used to her, shifting her in his hand absentmindedly. Had to bite back a chuckle at the horrified look on the asian kid’s face when he noticed it too.

Everything had been going well until they made it to the armory. Rick was challenging him. Looking at him in that way that flared up Negan’s Alpha, a growl escaping him before he could stop himself. But what surprised him was Rick’s reaction.

Normally people cowered, averted their eyes or shrunk away from him. Not Rick. Oh, no.

Rick’s eyes widened a fraction as they rose to meet Negan’s, a shiver running through him that sparked something in Negan, peeked his interest. Just when Negan was about to comment, he smelled something...

It hit him like a pile of bricks to the fucking chest. It was sweet and soft and fucking delicious. Better than anything Negan had ever smelled in his fucking life.

Negan took a step forward, Rick quickly stumbling away from him, but it was too late. Negan’s breath caught, the smell hitting his nose ten times stronger.

The smell was Rick.

Negan smelt fear then. Rick looked like he was about to make a run for it. He tried, took a half step back before Negan grabbed him by the arm.

“Don't you fucking dare.” Negan rumbled, his voice deep and unfamiliar to himself. He felt Rick shiver again, could hear the erratic sound of his heart beating in his chest.

Negan breathed deeply, mouth open a fraction, trying to catch the sweet scent on his tongue.

There was only one explanation. Something he’d learned about a long time ago. Before the world went ass up. Hell, before fucking puberty.

Negan moved in as close to Rick as possible, their faces inches apart. A mix of sweet and sour in the air.

“You got something to tell me, Rick?”

Rick stared at him. His mouth opening and closing while Negan watched, rapt. Negan leaned forward.

They were interrupted then, the sounds of his men returning ripping them back into the present, the stink of anxiety flooding Negan’s nostrils so strongly it burned.