a short story

Today was an important day for Daniel. Actually, he would say that it was the most important day of his life. Today, Daniel was going to get his very own Ship. He was finally going to become a Pilot.

Daniel spent the better part of his life looking at the night sky, wondering why he could never experience the vast expanse of the galaxy, jumping from one world to the next, in the way only a few chosen ones did. He felt that it wasn’t fair that the Guild accepted only applicants that came from a long line of Pilots, and he was a son of a simple soldier. But there was a way. Maybe he would never be a member of the Guild, but he decided a long time ago that that would not stop him. So he spent his days working, doing every job that he could, in order to make enough money so that he could one day walk up to the Ship Merchant and buy a Ship of his own. This was frowned upon by the Guild, and most of the people on his world, but he was determined. He slaved away doing menial and often dangerous work, neglecting his family and friends, never marrying, and saving every credit he could, for years. He was always looked upon as a strange man, possibly insane, but today that was going to change.

He woke up, as he did most mornings, next to Lana, with whom he had shared his bed with for a very long time now. She feared this day, but she still smiled and made him his favorite breakfast, although he did not feel hungry at all. He had heard that taking the Juice on an empty stomach gave him a better chance to bond. Lana was worried, but she smiled as they sat in silence. She feared the Pilot’s Curse. He felt that stories like those were ancient superstitions, but she was a simple girl and superstition was a part of her life. He never tried to change that, and accepted her as she was, so their time together was mostly pleasant.

Pilots fly alone – that was the Curse, but he had every intention of taking her with him. He imagined the moment when he would bring the Ship to a gentle stop beside their home and bring her aboard. He had no doubt in his mind that they would sail the stars together forever.

Their home was an hour’s walk from the town, and he was thankful for the time he had to think before his meeting with the Merchant. He was determined, but anxious, because becoming a pilot was a matter of life and death, not just for him, but for everyone. The Guild, with their careful selection of candidates and years of training, still managed only one successful bonding out of every five attempts. Failure to bond resulted in a very unpleasant death. Daniel had no training at all, but he had thought about this day for his entire life, and could not imagine himself not going through with his intentions.

The town was unremarkable, small by his world’s standards, but it was his home, and he had spent a lot of time working at the docks. He knew almost everyone, and most people knew him. The workers called him Daniel the Pilot in a mocking tone, but respected him nevertheless. He was a good worker, and a decent fighter, if need be. More than a few drunken crewmen had found that out the hard way over the years. While walking the streets, he remembered the first time he saw a Ship. He was a child, playing on the street near the docks, when suddenly something blocked the sun. He looked up, and saw the massive silhouette that descended slowly and quietly on the docks. He was mesmerized and amazed at the fact that something so big made almost no noise and stayed in air so effortlessly. Later he learned everything about them, and spent hours working around them at the docks, but he would still feel chills whenever he saw a Ship land.

The Ship Merchant’s yard was near the docks, surrounded by a large wall that obstructed the view even from the tallest building in town. Daniel has never been inside the yard, because only those with the money and intent to buy were allowed. Today he finally had both. The gate opened, and he walked through, noting that there were no guards, or security of any kind. Of course, he thought, the Merchant was a powerful man and no one in their right mind would attempt to enter without permission. And he was sure that there were some invisible safety measures in place. He had the distinct feeling of being watched, even though he seemed to be alone. He saw the familiar shapes of Ships in the distance, and wondered which one would be his.