The Demons Tale

chapter one

My heart ached as I worked my way through the photo albums. All of this reminded me of what I was missing in my life- a family.

The pictures of me and my dark haired mum, only gave me memories that I hadn't had in the first place. They were old, and most of them were torn, but at least we were all happy and smiling.

This particular picture that I was holding in my two hands, showed me, my mother and father at a park. I was playing on the swings and my parents looked pleased with me.

This was before I was abandoned outside a hospital in Sussex. With only a blanket and a few small possessions - no note. No nothing.

My eyes stung. Why was I looking at these photos any way? They couldn't have loved me all that much if they decided to dump me somewhere in Sussex.

There was a knock at the door.

"Yes?" I asked bluntly. It was Myer, my grandmothers daughter. My auntie.

She looked shy and whispered, "I'll give you a hand if you want help? I just came to say that lunch is ready, and then maybe we can do some knitting?"

I laughed cruelly inside my head. "why would I want to do knitting? I thought.

"Yes I could do with a hand. But I have a lot to do, so I won't be able to do knitting....today.....but I really would love to at some point!" I lied, rummaging through an old treasure box of mine.

Myer laughed and tapped me on the shoulder, "so no knitting today.....or any other day I presume!" She chuckled under her breath and gave me a hand carrying a particularly large photo album from my cupboard to my bed.

"You know I would tell you something about your past if...if I....well...if I had a clue," She smiled weakly at me and added, "your mum didn't really know me, you know. By the time she came along I was living at my own flat and paying my own bills."

I shook my head, " Its really not your fault at all." I said wistfully, "though I do wish I knew more about the....situation."

Myer picked up a family portrait and fingured it fondly.

"I was around when this old thing was painted though!" She chuckled looking at the back of the piece of paper to try and identify a date, "Ah yes! Tuesday 5th October! I remember it well." 

I nodded, wondering what my mum was like. In this Van Gough style painting, my mum and my farther weren't more than a few swirls. And me? I wasn't even there.

"What did my mum look like then?" I asked, still staring at the picture before me.

Myer shook her head, "I don't really remember, to be honest with you," she admitted, "though I do remember her being a little petite thing, with long curly hair, a bit like yours. But what do I know? Eh? If I added up the days I've seen her it would be one. One day."

My face started frowning in confusion. She looked like me, and she was my mother, but she left me on my own? Abandoned?

"I've just realised something, Myer. How come you knew I was related to you when you saw me in the paper all those years ago? How did grandma know she wasn't just taking in some old random baby?"

I started to feel angry, and by the look on Myers face, there was obviously some thing she hadn't been telling me. And Grandma was involved. Whether I wanted to believe it or not, they were lying to me.

"Well....the thing is, that blanket that you were found with, was the one your grandmother bought your mum when she was a baby apparently. And because it was in the paper, your grandma obviously realised. Then you had a DNA test, and yes, you were her granddaughter!" She smiled happily like I was some kind of prize on a polished shelf.