Clearing Confusions

We were walking along the Hawaiian beach with the sand blowing at our face. We were enjoying the sun when suddenly Leslie said, "So you don't trust me and that's why you keep maintaining a distance from me all the time ! Is this the way you behave with your supposedly closest friend ?" There was a distinct accusatory tone and something I couldn't identify in her voice. ' Now what's the matter again ? Don't couples only have trust issues ?' Suli asked with a half smirk. I was completely clueless. We had been friends for as long as I can remember. I deep lost in my thoughts when I heard Nicole saying,' Why do you think that I am liking the fact that I can't share my innermost thoughts with you ? Leslie why do you think that I will not trust you ?'

We were so lost in the dramatic turn of our two best friends that we had hardly noticed the tears rolling down Leslie's cheeks. Being the most clueless person in the group that I was, I asked ,' What would you like us to know Nicole ? And Leslie why do you think that you are the only one who is not trusted by her when you have me and Suli standing here equally clueless ? '

As if this was the last straw, both of them broke down into loud sobs, making me feel guilty immediately. I was about to apologize for whatever I had said when Suli placed her hand on my shoulder with a knowing look etched on her face. I gave her a questioning look to which she muttered,' I guessed it would happen sooner or later.'

Now it was my turn to be the only one who was dumbfounded. I could guess or sense nothing. After all it's not a daily sight when two twenty two year old friends break down on a Hawaiian beach. Nicole broke my spell when she spoke again, " Tell me Les what you would like to know ? That I had always feelings for you and that I knew of my orientation long back when I was around twenty ? Trust me when I say it was difficult for me, I really meant it. I have seen you looking at other beautiful blonde girls and I knew that look in your eyes. I was afraid that my feelings would jeopardize our friendship and you three of all people knew about my insecurities about my physical attributes. What would all like to know now ? Anything else ?'  Without any other words spoken, Leslie had placed a peck on Nicole's cheeks. ' Idiot I too had the same thoughts and all three have known that I was never as confident as you are. I have and will always love you Nick ! '

I came back to the present after the contents of the envelope fell from my hands. I picked it up and saw their wedding invitation. One year has passed yet it feels like yesterday...the most memorable trip ever.

[499 words]

Dearest readers all of you are also invited to the wedding of Nicole and Leslie. But there's one condition. As you all know it's a contest entry, please share and vote for this story. Find me on twitter @sins993 ,there you will find a tweet relating to this book. Retweet it and share it. The more retweets it'll receive, the better will be the wedding of Nicole and Leslie : after all #LoveAlwaysWins

© Shreya Sinha (PocketReads )