1 : New in Town

I wake up to the sound of my twin brother, Jake, and my 19 year old sister, Aria, already fighting over who gets the biggest room. I see an opportunity and cease it. Quietly opening the car door and slipping out, I accidentally let the door slam shut. Their heads snap in my direction and we all freeze. Three short seconds later, we are all rushing to get at least one of our pieces of luggage and sprint into the new house. I run up the large staircase with Jack on my tail and Aria shortly behind. Jake grabs my suitcase and I stumble. But to his lack of thinking, my fall also caused him to fall, as well as Aria. "Dumbass," I whisper. I quickly get back up and finish my scramble upstairs. 

"Kids," I hear my dad shout to us. "Stop fighting over who gets which room. We already have them picked out for you." We all look at each other with confused faces. My dad comes up the stairs, my mom following. "Aria," my dad continues, "You get the bigger room." No way. "WHAT," Jake and I yell at the same time, snapping our heads to Aria, then back to our dad. "It's only fair," my dad says. "She will be staying in that room while she attends college and will need her space."

"Jake, Shay, you guys get those rooms," my father says while pointing across the floor. Jake and I glance at each other, then to the rooms, then back at each other. One has a balcony, and the other doesn't. I break off into a sprint, Jake right behind me. Right before him, I beat him to the room with a balcony. I guess track and field payed off. "Get out of my room loser," I say and slam the door in his face. I evil laugh under my breath and look out the balcony window. There is another house next to ours. It surely isn't like the city or anything, where each building is basically touching, but it's pretty close. The balcony of the room across from mine matches up perfectly with my balcony. 

I decide to step outside and feel the breeze. It's October right now and the weather is so nice. I look out at the horizon and realize how truly beautiful it is. It's nothing like the city at all. There are no sky scrapers or businesses, no giant Tiffany stores or sushi restaurants, but it is still very beautiful. There are acres upon acres of empty land behind our house, whereas in NYC, we had about a foot of space behind out apartment building. The change is actually kind of refreshing. 

I hear the balcony door next to mine open and see a brown-haired boy with blue eyes walk out. "Enjoying the view?" are his first words to me. "Oh yeah..." I think to myself while staring at this beautiful boy. Weirdly, he chuckles and looks down, blushing. "What? I didn't even say anything," I say to the boy. He says back, "Uh, yes you did," while still laughing.